I am really excited about this low crab, creamy chicken pot pie recipe. It’s gluten free, grain free, and keto friendly. This recipe idea with a friend talking about Costco’s chicken pot pie. I’ve seen it at the store, and I admit that it is drool worthy. Chicken pot pie is the ultimate comfort food and a childhood favorite.
How to Make Chicken Pot Pie Low Carb? Is it Possible?
If you know me, you know I never say never and I will find a way to recreate a comfort food recipe when I have a craving.
I had to see if I could make a keto friendly, low carb version with an almond flour crust. I already have a chicken and biscuits recipe but I wanted something that was more pastry-like and a little more gourmet. After playing around with a combination of almond and coconut flour, butter and egg, I found a crust that works.
Ingredients for Low Carb Creamy Chicken Pot Pie Filling
- White Meat Chicken (or small whole chicken
- Peas (can replace with cut green beans)
- Chicken Broth
- White Wine
- Heavy Cream
- Xanthan Gum Gel or Unflavored Gelatin
I think peas and carrots are a must for chicken pot pie and the overall carb count is fairly low. You can choose how much of these you want to use or to leave them out.
What Chicken to Use for Low Carb Creamy Chicken Pot Pie
Any of these work. What you want is 4 cups of cubed cooked white meat chicken.
- Roast Chicken (Spatchcock, cutting out back for soup at a later date). Cutting out the thigh/leg portions and freezing for a later recipe. This way you are roasting all white meat (keep the wings on).
- Rotisserie chicken you buy at the store.
- Left over chicken or left over turkey.
- Boneless chicken breast, cut into pieces and cooked on top of stove.
Affordable Tip: If you can find a small chicken like the Greenwise at Publix for under $7, you will be able to make two different dinners. After roasting use the white meat only and freeze the chicken thighs and legs for another meal. Eat the wings as a snack. I did that. Other times I just use left over chicken or left over turkey.
Low Carb Creamy Chicken Pot Pie Filling Ingredients
You can alter this to your liking, skipping celery or carrots or even leaving out the peas. I happen to like all three. I used chopped cauliflower in place of potatoes, and the twins ate it up, so it works. I also added white wine, which you can also skip, but know that it adds an incredible layer of flavor. Only use white wine you would drink. Do not use cooking wine ever for anything.
Ingredients for Pie Crust
- Almond flour
- Coconut Flour
- Xanthan gum
- Baking Powder
- Cheddar Cheese (optional)
Keto Pie Crust
This pie crust, once baked, will give you the satisfaction you crave.
It doesn’t have gluten and will be more fragile. When you make it, you need to roll it between parchment paper or plastic wrap and freeze for about 15 minutes before cutting into discs. You can also use it whole as a top, but also roll that out and freeze it.
Roll dough out between plastic, chill for 15 minutes. Cut into circles (or any shape you like) on parchment which sits on a tray, so you can put in freezer. Once frozen and pot pie is cooked on top of stove, cover with dough rounds and bake until golden brown.
I like making smaller pot pies in individual servings because they are easy to manage. The cut out circles are cut when the dough is near frozen and kept frozen until use. Have fun with different shapes.
Freezing does two things. It makes it easy to handle and place on top and it doesn’t get too browned right away, which almond flour can tend to do.
You can save this recipe and use with your left over turkey too.
More Low Carb Comforting Foods from Spinach Tiger
Grain Free Creamy Chicken Pot Pie
Pot Pie Filling
- 4 cups white meat chicken cubed, cooked
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion small dice
- 2 carrots small dice
- 2 celery stalks small dice
- 2 cups chopped raw cauliflower bite sized
- 3 tablespoons xanthan gum gel see notes
- 2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin (see notes) replacement for xanthan gum
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Mix together both flours, baking powder, salt.
- Cut the butter in with a pastry cutter or with your hands. I find using a kitchen aid type mixer best for mixing this dough, but you can use your hands to mix.
- Add egg until thoroughly mixed. Chill for 15 minutes.
- Roll out dough between two pieces of plastic wrap on a tray you can place in freezer. Proceed with making pot pie filling while dough freezes.
Rotisserie Chicken or Roasted Chicken
- If Roasting small chicken roast for one hour on 450 degrees F. Use white meat and reserve rest for another meal. The breasts of one chicken will give you enough for this recipe. If using rotisserie chicken, use the white meat and cut into bite sized pieces.
Using Boneless Chicken Breast
- If using boneless chicken breast, cut Into bite sized pieces. Fry in butter until cooked through.
Pot Pie Filling
- Melt butter in large frying pan or dutch oven. Cook carrots, celery, onion until carrots are softened and onion is translucent about five minutes. Add cauliflower. Cook for about five minutes.
- If using unflavored gelatin, sprinkle it over cold chicken broth, until It blooms, about five minutes. This will help to thicken pot pie.
- Add broth to vegetables and cook about 10 minutes until broth Is warm.
- Add white wine, simmer for ten minutes.
- If using xanthan gum gel (and not using gelatin) stir that in now.
- Add frozen peas. You can them in frozen.
- Add heavy cream. Continue to cook on low simmer uncovered about five minutes.
Bake Pot Pie in Oven
- Take out dough. You can also cut out circles of dough. If you cut them ahead of time, keep them frozen before placing on pot pie. You will want to bake them frozen. Cutting dough into various round shapes with biscuit cutter makes it much easier to deal with and you can any size vessel to bake.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 180 C.
- Put pot pie filling Into pie pan or individual pie pans.
- Bake about 20-30 minutes, checking at 20 minutes until the pie crust is lightly golden. Time will vary depending on size of baking vessel. The inside is already cooked. You are baking to cook the crust.
- Use xanthan gum gel.
- Use Unflavored gelatin powder which will be mixed into cold broth first.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo