If you’re a pizza lover and you’re kicking carbs, I’m bringing you yet another absolutely delicious sausage crusted pizza. While the sausage crusted broccoli rabe pizza was my husband’s favorite, this one with ricotta cheese and fresh basil is my favorite.
How Do I Make the Sausage Crust?
If you remember from my last sausage crusted pizza, you have to roll the raw sausage out with parchment paper, but first must put the sausage right on the vessel your are baking.
You only roll the top. While you can use your hands to press the sausage out, it will probably end up being too thick, so make sure you disperse the sausage evenly before pressing it. It will take about 1 1 1/4 pounds of sausage for a 12 inch pizza pan. The sausage will shrink about an inch all around. Bake for about 20 minutes at 400 degrees F.
How do I make Pizza Sauce?
First of all, please stop buying jarred sauce. It’s heavy, expensive and usually has sugar.
Please do use Cento San Marzano tomatoes to make a quick, sugar free, clean pizza sauce in the time it takes to make the sausage crust. I did a blind taste tasting with all the Cento Tomato products and several competitive San Marzano
Pizza Sauce is so easy because basically it’s a fast tomato sauce, with some fresh oregano or basil. Dried oregano works well too. The key here is fast and fresh, no bottled and heavy. I cook the Cento San Marzano tomatoes, with a little bit of olive oil, garlic and oregano. It’s the first thing to go on the stove and by the time the sausage is ready, the sauce is ready.
What Kind of Cheese do I use for Sausage Crusted Three Cheese Pizza?
I like to use three cheeses. Mozzarella, Ricotta, Pecorino Romano.
The mozzarella delivers the gooey texture we love. The Ricotta needs to be one that is smooth, dense, and creamy. I like the Publix Greenwise or Polly O. If your ricotta cheese has too much moisture, place on paper towel on a colander, and allow to sit. The pecorino romano is a tangy, salty sheep’s cheese that we always have on hand. It’s our go to grated Italian cheese.
Use Fresh Basil
If possible, use fresh basil. It really makes this pizza sing. If you don’t have access to fresh basil, then use a little dried herbs of choice, (Italian seasoning, dried basil) or use fresh Italian flat parsley.
The Keto Nutrition Macros
1/4 pizza is 5 net carbs.
Keto Sausage Crusted Pizza with Ricotta and Basil
- Parchment Paper
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1.5 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons Pecorino Romano Cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 handful fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 can San Marzano Tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano or basil or dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper or more to taste
Make Sausage Crust
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Use loose sausage. If you have sausage links, remove from casing. spread out with fingers onto griddle or pizza pan. Use parchment paper or plastic wrap and rolling pin to roll out as thin as you can without forming holes. Place parchment on top of sausage and roll. You will not need any binders.
- Sausage will shrink about an inch all around. Form a sausage crust with your fingers the way you would a dough crust.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until sausage is browned.
- Once sausage is cooked, sop up any grease with paper towels.
- Add about 1/2 cup tomato sauce to pizza crust.
- Add mozzarella cheese.
- Add RIcotta Cheese in dollops of one or tablespoons around the pizza.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle grated pecorino romano cheese.
- Fresh basil leaves.
- Put fresh basil on pizza.
- Serve immediately, cutting into six pieces.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo