How to Make Steak Tips on the Grill and the Broiler
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I found myself wondering what to do with the steak tips I ordered from Butcher Box this month. I can honestly say I have never made steak tips before, as I tend to gravitate towards New York Strip Steaks and Rib Eyes.
Well that changes now. I’m going to give you two methods to make steak tips, and I’ll tell you my preference.
What are steaks tips?
Steak tips are usually cut from the sirloin or round muscle. They are tasty but not tender like filet. Sometimes they are known as sirloin tips. They do well marinated and then cooked on hot grill, quickly.
Sirloin tips are very versatile. Here they are coupled with caramelized peppers. You could make them with this mushroom sauce or sauteed mushrooms, caramelized onions, and various marinades or barbecue sauces. You could even serve them with this chimichurri.
Do you have to marinate steak tips?
I recommend at least a one-hour marinade that has fat, acid and salt. Be careful not to over-marinate with fruits that can break down the meat too much like pineapple, which can turn the meat to mush.
What is the best marinade for steak tips?
You can do the marinade in this recipe which has sesame oil, coconut aminos and lime juice. Or you can use your favorite marinade. For example, you could simply do some oil, vinegar, and worcestershire. Your acid could be red wine or balsamic. Acid and salt helps to tenderize the meat.
Can you cook steak tips in the oven?
You can quickly cook steak tips in the oven under the broiler. The oven should be hot and the steak tips only cooked about three minutes on each side.
Which method works best to cook steak tips?
I did a test. I marinated the steak tips for one hour. Half of them went on to a very hot grill. Half of them went in the oven under the broiler.
I made sure to dry the marinade off so they wouldn’t steam. Steamed meat is gray and not good.
The result: The steak tips cooked on a hot grill were much better, more tender than those under the broiler.
Where I buy my Steak Tips
I’m proud to say I love meat and I especially love steak. I have found a new place to buy the best steak I’ve ever eaten.
Last year, we subscribed to Butcher Box and have been over the moon with the quality of the meat, and I asked to become an affiliate, which earns commissions on sales, because I was so impressed. We heard so much about Butcher Box and the only thing I can say is I wish we would have subscribed sooner.
Benefits of ButcherBox
- High-Quality Meat: Delicious 100% grass-fed beef, free-range chicken, heritage-breed pork, and wild-caught seafood.
- Unbeatable Value: Average cost = Less than $6 per meal.
- Flexibility: Box options and delivery frequencies to fit your needs, cancel any time with no penalty.
- Convenience: Great-tasting, high-quality meat you can feel good about, delivered right to your doorstep (FREE shipping).
- Decisions That Make a Difference: Caring about animals and our planet, improving livelihoods for farmers, better meals enjoyed together.
- Pin This ↓
Go Here to find out more about Butcher Box
More Steak Recipes from Spinach Tiger
The Perfect New York Strip Steak (my most popular post of all time)
How to Make Teres Major (a cheap, tasty cut of steak)
How to Make a Skirt Steak with Chimichurri
Ropa Viaja (braised flank steak)
Grilled Steak Tips
- 1 pound steak tips
- salt, pepper for seasoning
- 1/3 cup sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos or tamari sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 serrano pepper seeded, siced
- 1/4 orange juiced
- 1/2 lime juiced with zest
- 8 small sweet peppers or 3 bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Season steak tips with salt and pepper. If they are extra large cut in half. Set aside.
- Mix all ingredients for marinade. Taste and adjust as you see fit. You may want more or less ginger, etc.
- Marinate meat in half of marinade, reserving the rest for later. Marinate for one hour on the counter. This takes the chill off the meat and it will cook quickly.
Steak Tips on the Grill
- Heat all burners on grill for 15 minutes until grill is very hot. You will be cooking the steak tips fast.
- Put on the grill for 5 minutes. Turn over for 2 to 3 more minutes.
Steak Tips in the Broiler
- Heat broiler for 15 minutes and adjust rack at the top. You want a high heat to hit the tips.
- Broil for five minutes. Check at 3 minutes to make sure tips don't burn. Turn over for 2 minutes.
- The key is low and slow to caramelize peppers.
- Trim off ends, take out seeds and make thin slices.
- Heat pan, add oil and once oil is hot, turn to low. Add peppers and allow to cook for at least twenty minutes. You can do this while the meat is marinating. Turn every few minutes. You don't want charred peppers. You want these too cook slowly.
- Season everything again with salt and pepper. Serve with reserved marinade.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo