This brussels sprouts frittata is so delicious that you will want to put it on your dinner rotation. Yes, dinner, because it’s hearty, healthy and easy. Yes, it tastes amazing, because of all the textures. It satisfies and is the perfect frittata to transition into Fall.
How do I make a successful frittata?
I’m glad you asked. I posted this article on Everything You Need to Know about Frittatas and I highly recommend you give it a read. There are also links to fifteen frittata recipes, because I’m Italian and frittatas are a way of life.
We use frittatas to use up leftovers, to avoid turning to fast food, and sometimes to serve as a side dish, cut into a wedge.
How do I cook the brussels sprouts for a Brussels Sprouts Frittata?
This is so easy. You do have to trim off the stems, give them a good rinse, and then slice them with sharp knife or this easy mandolin. This should take about five minutes, the time it will take to microwave your purple potatoes. Give them a quick sautè.
When I think of Autumn, I think of brussels sprouts and I’m a bit serious with over 10 brussels sprouts recipes here.
I use purple potatoes because they have a low glycemic count and purple is so healthy, but you could use any potato you like, even sweet potatoes would work. You CAN leave the potatoes out if you don’t want the extra carbs. For me, it’s one of the carbs I embrace!
I use arugula because it doesn’t shrink to nothing in a frittata and I like it’s slight bitterness. Replace with spinach, chard, or kale if you desire.
Frittatas can seem like a mystery. How do you get that golden brown, perfectly cooked round omelette that cuts into wedges? I’m Italian so this is second nature for me. I grew up eating the classic asparagus or zucchini frittata wedge as a side dish. I never saw frittatas anywhere else, but a lot has changed since then.
Frittatas are now a part of the American brunch menu and enjoyed everywhere.
How Many Eggs for a Frittata?
I used 8 eggs and a 10 inch non-stick pan. I love Oxo’s Egg Beater that disconnects into two parts, making cleaning and storage easy. You do still have to use some oil. Avocado or olive oil is fine and you can add a little bit of butter if you like. This will yield six to eight wedges. The best way to loosen the underneath and let the egg mixture run under (the trick to a stovetop frittata) is the right spatula. This omelet turner from Oxo is a life changer. (Amazon).
Frittatas: breakfast, lunch, dinner or a side dish.
I grew up eating frittata wedges as a side at dinner. I evolved into making frittatas as the weekend brunch item or as a quick lunch. This is the beauty of taking eggs and anything you have left over and making an easy, delicious, nutritious meal. I wrote all about frittata making at this post below.
Enjoy this brussels sprouts frittata and make it your own.
Brussels Sprouts Frittata with Purple Potatoes
- Oxo Omelet Spatula
- Non Stick Pan
- Egg Beater or Whisk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 1/2 cup shaved brusselsl sprouts or sliced thinly
- 4 purple potatoes
- 2 tablespoons cheese Manchego or White Cheddar
- Handfull arugula
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 1 tablespoon shallot (or red onion) finely diced
- 8 eggs See notes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Prepare Purple Potatoes
- Clean potatoes, microwave potatoes for about five minutes until softened. You can skip the micorowave, slice thinly and sautè until softened. I don't remove the skins, but you can if you want.
Prepare Brussels Sprouts
- Clean brussels well to get out any dirt. Trim off bottom. Either use mandolin or sharp knife to slice thinly.
- Beat eggs with salt, pepper. Set aside, and cook vegetables first.
- Heat pan to medium high. Add butter and oil to hot pan.
- Reduce heat, add brussels sprouts and potatoes, and cook until softened.
- Add in arugula.
- Add beaten eggs. Using a large spatula, allow the eggs to run under the frittata mixture. Keep lifting and moving the mixture. Once you have no more runny eggs, and the remains to be cooked, put in oven for about 5 to 10 minutes. You want to make sure you don't see any runny egg mixture.
- Cut into wedges and eat hot or at room temperature.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo