You want chocolate fudge cupcakes made easy? I have easy. No creaming the sugar and butter. Everything goes right into the mixer at once and it couldn’t be more perfect! Seriously, I wouldn’t lead you down the wrong chocolate cake path, because chocolate cake is serious business.
In this rough and tumble world we live in, chocolate fudge cake is something we fall back on as one of life’s pleasures and ways to celebrate.
This is it. I’ve tried a million recipes for chocolate fudge cupcakes. The ones with coffee. The ones with hot boiling water. The ones with expensive chocolate. And, then I created my own recipe from taking all the recipes I’ve read and tried and I found the best way to make chocolate cake and chocolate frosting. The chocolate cake I’ve held in my chocolate cake dreams and memories as the very best.
Moist, yet full of body (unlike box cakes, my friends), chocolatey and seriously addicting. If you think you’re only going to take a bite, think again. Work out hard before you eat this cake, because you will not nibble. You will eat the whole thing.
This is very reason I made them in mini-cupcakes for this birthday party. It’s six months later and I’m still hearing about those being the best cupcakes they ever had.
As for the chocolate fudge frosting, I added in some cream cheese, and a good serving of heavy cream. I’m not about to cut down on calories when it comes to chocolate cake, which is how we celebrate most birthdays around here. One thing I might mention is that I usually double the chocolate frosting recipe below and there will be some left over, which isn’t a bad thing.
I’ll let you in on a few secrets. I use less sugar in the cake than most bakers. I use equal amounts of brown sugar to white sugar. I didn’t use coffee, which I think can be great but also a bit bitter, but I doubled the vanilla.
This is crowd pleaser. People love love love chocolate cake, and this recipe makes sure they stay in love. The only thing that makes this better is a side of vanilla ice cream.
How about you? Are you a chocolate lover? Does chocolate cake hold good memories for you?
More Winning Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes
You can use the same recipe to make a triple chocolate cake or a mini cake.
Ice Cream Sundae Chocolate Cupcakes (too adorable to eat, almost).
Or simply make Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes with Vanilla Frosting
Let me know if you make these chocolate fudge cupcakes? You won’t be disappointed.
Make Cupcakes with Espresso Frosting
Make Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting
I do have this in a gluten free version that is amazingly close.
Best Homemade Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes and Chocolate Fudge Frosting
- 3 1/3 cups all purpose flour order here
- 1 1/3 cups unsweetened cocoa powder half dark unsweetened, half regular unsweetened cocoa powder SEE NOTES
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces butter 3 sticks
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla order here
- 5 eggs
- FROSTING INGREDIENTS
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate cocoa order here
- 1/2 cup regular unsweetened cocoa order here
- 5 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces butter 2 sticks
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese
- Sift together cocoa, flour, baking soda, salt into a bowl.
- Put flour mixture all the rest of the ingredients in mixer and mix for 3 minutes.
- Pour into cupcake pans or three cake pans.
- Bake at 350. Cupcakes take between 15-20 minutes. Mini bundt cakes take 20-25 minutes. One large cake takes between 50-55 minutes. Layer cakes take anywhere from 35-50 minutes.
- SPECIAL NOTE: Do not UNDER bake. Do a touch test. The cake should spring back to be done.
- FROSTING INSTRUCTIONS
- Mix together butter and cream cheese.
- Mix confectioner's sugar with the cocoa powder.
- Add salt and confectioner's sugar and mix well.
- Pour in heavy cream which will begin to thin the frosting. Once the frosting is at the consistency you like, add in vanilla and mix until done. You can make the frosting a day ahead, cover with plastic and once ready to frost cakes, take out for 30 minutes.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo