Peanut Butter Eggs with Dark Chocolate
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I grew up on peanut butter eggs. They were always around at Easter, either sold at the Farmer’s Market or made by one of the ladies in the neighborhood. At that time, no one baked or made sweets in our family and I was in awe of those woman who took the time to make something we bought at the store.
Why I Love Easter
In a world gone crooked and crazy, we all seek something to straighten it out. I made many stops along the way, not a lot I can be proud of. Easter is a very big deal in my faith, bigger than Christmas.
It’s the event that has made everything make sense in the most illogical, nonsensible, irrational way for my fragile human mind to grasp. But, as I first believe and then I seek to understand, I have a peace that surpasses all the crazy of this world. It’s easier for me to understand the mystery of a God who loves us so much he sent his only son to save us than it is for me to understand a child rapist. It’s easier for me to believe that only God can fight our real battles for us than to think I can do it from my own genius.
We all believe in something, even if we believe in nothing. I can’t help but believe in the power of life-giving redemption. I once was so lost and then He came and found me. And, there is nothing I can do to stop believing that because I tried to bring myself my own peace and comfort. I used everything available to man’s eyes and ears and to my great surprise, the answer ended up being something I couldn’t see nor hear, but I could know beyond all reasonable doubt.
I love to remember what Easter really means to me, but I still enjoy Easter for the fun too…the Easter bunny and homemade peanut butter eggs.
A few tips when preparing the peanut butter eggs.
- Use smooth peanut butter, not the kind that you grind yourself at the store.
- Simply melt the chocolate without any added shortening. The original recipe calls for shortening, but I don’t use it, so I just melted the chocolate.
- Melting chocolate. I put it in stainless steel bowl, boil water in my all clad frying pan and melt away. No microwave guessing, no double boiler. I saw this on an old Julie Child episode, and if it worked for her, it works for me.
- Freeze the peanut butter bars before you add the chocolate and don’t handle with hands once they come out of the freezer. The heat of your hands will start to melt them. Use a fork.
- Feel free to use a darker chocolate as I did. I am partial to Ghiradelli bittersweet chips.
- Refrigerate after dipping in chocolate for 15 minutes to set.
More Possible Easter Sweets from Spinach Tiger
Peanut Butter Eggs with Dark Chocolate
- 2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 10 ounce bag Ghiradelli bittersweet chips you can use milk chocolate or semi-sweet as desired
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat peanut butter, brown sugar and butter in saucepan until it bubbles. Turn off
- Add confectioner's sugar a little at a time. Stir until smooth. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Roll into balls (about 30 grams each) and then shape into oval eggs.
- Freeze eggs for 15 minutes.
- Melt Chocolate in bowl over a double boiler or use my method of placing water in large frying pan and placing bowl inside. Be careful not to get any water in the chocolate. This takes about 5 minutes.
- Dip frozen eggs into chocolate using a fork, and place on parchment. Decorate as desired.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes to set.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo
These were sweeter than actual Rreese’s. Next time I would put less sugar!
These look gorgeous Angela. I don’t think I could resist the peanut butter/chocolate combo. All the best for the Easter festivities.
Peanut butter and chocolate is such a terrific combo, isn’t it? Love the looks of these! Really terrific stuff — thanks so much.
Angela these look delicious and so easy! I’d be the best PreK mom ever if I bought these in for the teachers this week!
LOVE! Any kind of peanutbutter chocolate combo is such a win for me. Love the sprinkles 🙂
These are really beautiful eggs you made my friend. They look soooooo much prettier and delicious than the ones in the shops…much tastier and chocolatey. Just one of the great ways to celebrate this time of year.
I’m sending this recipe straight to a friend who I know would absolutely adore this and would also appreciate the tips as she doesn’t cook much too. A beautifully written post Angela! Happy Easter! 😀
Always love hearing your testimony. Happy Easter, friend. He is risen!
I like the sprinkles! They make everything festive.
such a lovely post + these peanut butter eggs sound just delicious. if i can find a few free minutes before our family cookout later, i’ll give these a try!