I embrace this country in spite of it not being perfect, and I give it much grace. I wholeheartedly celebrate July 4, even though there are things I don’t love.
I love free speech, but I hate the vitriol on twitter. Good things usually have a price, like desserts. However, you can have your cake without a price this summer with a delicious sugar free, gluten free, keto flag cake.
This cake is absolutely delicious, made with stabilized whipped cream and fresh fruit. It’s easy to assemble and easy to bake. You would never know it’s keto friendly, grain free and sugar free.
This keto flag cake is perfect for Memorial Day and July 4th, which are both important days in America.
I love America for many many reasons, and I hope we can still be in a place to love our country, flaws and strengths.
One of the reasons is the vitality of Americans. I remember being on a train in Paris, hearing a group of girls laughing and I knew immediately that they were Americans. As I walked around Paris, I noticed that American girls stood out, not because they weren’t as fashionable, but because they seemed to be having the most fun.
Great News in Small Business America
Since I wrote this a few years ago, a lot has changed and a lot hasn’t changed. 2020 killed a lot of small businesses, but it looks like many are coming back strong.
I am happy to announce that Spinach Tiger Keto Bakery is now represented in several farmer’s markets this summer. You can find me every Saturday morning at the Nolensville Farmers Market 8-12 INSIDE. We have a few special announcements for other markets, so please follow us on instagram, or subscribe to the bakery page.
My great-grandparents came from Naples at the turn of last century to escape poverty caused by the union of Italian regions. They made a good life, even though they lived in the inner city, lived through the depression, World War I and World War II.
My grandmother had to quit school at age 13 to work in a cigar factory and she got married at age 16. In spite of this, she eventually went to beauty school and opened her own salon. She never once saw herself as under-educated or oppressed, even though she was a woman who’s first language was not English, and she was raised in what was referred to as an Italian ghetto in South Philly. She embraced individuality and freedom. She was quite the character.
Those opportunities didn’t exist in Naples at that time. She taught me that hard work, stamina and tenacity pay off and people with ideas and a determined mindset will lift themselves up, because they can lift themselves up. I also believe we are a country who can lift and will lift others up when they need it.
My grandparents did wonderful things to help build this country with sweat equity. There is no reason for me or any of my family to apologize for our Italian heritage or American heritage.
America is a great country, a country that does much good around the world, considered the most generous country in the last decade. This spirit of giving is worth celebrating and made possible by our prosperity and our value system to care for others.
One of the things I love about America is our food choices. We might be the most diverse in the world because we embrace this kind of variety. We also choose our own diet plans and there are many. I choose to eat a grain free, sugar free diet that includes, meat, eggs and dairy. It’s what makes me feel good, and to that end, I am happy to bring you a flag cake for July 4th.
How to Make a Keto Flag Cake
I used a quarter pan sheet pan and made a vanilla cake. I thought of making this a lemon flavored cake like this lemon cake, or even a chocolate cake like this one here. In the end, I stuck with vanilla. I baked it on standard bake mode, not convection bake, and it took almost 25 minutes. If you bake on convection, it will probably take only about 15 to 20 minutes, but may brown a little more. I used almond flour and a little coconut flour to keep it grain free and Swerve to keep it sugar free.
I choose blueberries and strawberries and stabilized whipped cream. You CAN make the cake, put the whipped cream on and refrigerate, but put the fruit on right before you serve it.
This keto flag cake could get me “cancelled” because patriotism is not popular. But it is a part of free speech and I hope you embrace that.
What Size Pan for a Keto Flag Cake?
I use a quarter size sheet pan and this is my favorite brand. I have four USA pans, and highly recommend them. Disposable quarter sized sheet pans can also be purchased at your local grocery.
What kind of whipped cream do you use for a Keto Flag Cake?
Yu will want to use a stabilized whipped Cream, but you could also use a vanilla buttercream.
Stabilized whipped cream maintains its structure and you can make this cake hours in advance. I use a piping bag and a 1 M large tip.
Vanilla Cake Recipe
This vanilla cake recipe is perfect and the one I use in my keto bakery. A combination of almond flour and coconut flour plus sour cream yield a light and moist sponge cake. I also use avocado oil which lends to a bouncy texture, but you can use 1/2 cup butter in its place.
Nutritional Value of Flag Cake (16 servings)
Net Carbs: 2 Calories: 248
More Keto Desserts from Spinach Tiger
- Keto Texas Sheet Cake in Sheet Pan
- Berry Patriotic Cake
- Keto Sheet Pan Brownies
- Blueberry Cheesecake Bars
Keto Flag Cake
Vanilla Cake Dry Ingredients
- 1 cup Swerve granulated Sweetener
Vanilla Cake Wet Ingredients
- 1/2 cup avocado oi or 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 6 eggs
- 60 grams sour cream 4 tablespoons
- 1/2 cup almond milk unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Stabilized Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoon Swerve confectioner's sweetener
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 cups fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. or 180 C.
- Prepare pan with parchment paper and cooking spray.
- Whisk the dry cake ingredients together. Set aside.
- Mix together avocado oil and granulated Swerve.
- Add eggs and mix thoroughly.
- Add sour cream and almond milk to this.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Add dry mixture. Mix.
- Add to prepared sheet pan. Smooth top.
- Bake on convection bake for 15 to 17 minutes. Center will be approx. 205 degrees F. Or bake on "bake" mode for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool completely before adding whipped topping.
Stabilized Whipped Cream
- Make sure cream cheese is softened. You may want to microwave for ten seconds.
- Beat cream cheese with the confectioner's sweetener.
- Add whipping cream and whip until you have fluffy peaks that remain when you turn it upside down on spatula.
- You can put this whipped cream into a piping bag or spread over the cake. I used a large 1M tip.
- Before applying fruit, apply to a piece of parchment paper to make sure you put fruit where you want. Slice strawberries lengthwise.
- Arrange in rows to make flag.
- You can refrigerate or serve immediately.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo