Keto Red velvet cake is nothing new around here. I’ve made red velvet so many different ways, and now I bring you two more ways to enjoy this southern charm of a cake. This red velvet is sugar free, grain free and gluten free.
What is a Red Velvet Cake?
The cupcakes are moist, springy and have that red velvet taste that is quite unique. Red velvet is not a chocolate cake and it’s not a vanilla cake. It’s not something in between. It has its very own unique and slightly tangy and sweet flavor, prompted from the vinegar and just a tiny amount of cocoa powder.
This is the Red Velvet Cake I sell in My Keto Bakery
It has taken me quite a while to get a really delicious grain free red velvet, one that I would be willing to sell in my bakery.
I got a call from a neighbor who had moved away asking if I could make her little girl a cake for her ten year birthday. They wanted red velvet but not keto, not gluten free. I couldn’t refuse but also decided while I’m making that cake, I’m going to make a keto red velvet naked cake for me.
Now here’s the really good news. We liked the keto red velvet better. Doug said he can’t eat sugar anymore, and that the regular red velvet, while delicious, was too sweet for him. He has retrained his taste buds to eat a much less sweet cake.
Red Velvet is such an interesting cake, wrapped in much folklore, from a baking accident to bakers using red beet juice instead of sugar during the war when sugar was rationed. What’s not folklore is how much Americans love red velvet and it has become as favored as chocolate or vanilla.
WHAT DO I PREFER AS AN ALTERNATIVE FLOUR FOR KETO RED VELVET CUPCAKES?
I use mostly almond flour and little bit of coconut flour. It bakes up much smoother and is prettier and is closer to the original red velvet cake.
WHAT SWEETENER DO YOU USE?
What Kind of Cocoa Powder to use for Keto Red Velvet?
Remember red velvet cake is not a chocolate cake. It has its own unique tangy, sweet taste.
Two tablespoons of natural cocoa powder is enough. Too much cocoa powder and the tangy vanilla flavor will be lost. You must use the right kind of cocoa powder. After much experimentation, the best result I’ve gotten comes from natural cacao and I use good old Hershey’s. (Not dark). I’ve tried everything top end, dutch process, a mix of process and plain natural cocoa powder works the best.
Color Cream Cheese Frosting with Rose Gel Food Coloring
This was such a pretty cake and made for a little girl’s birthday. We colored the cream cheese frosting with rose gel color. You could also use red food coloring very sparingly.
What red food coloring do I use for red velvet cake?
I like this red food gel. You don’t need as much as the liquid food coloring as a little goes a long way. If you have to use the red coloring you find in the grocery store, you will need to use up to two tablespoons. If you use a gel, you will use less.
Did you know you can actually SKIP THE FOOD COLORING and the cake will still taste the same. You can call it brown velvet.
How do I get that pretty rose swirl topping?
This is actually super easy. Make sure your cake is completely cool. I have found that with almond flour cakes and
I used a large 3 M tip in a piping bag and starting about an inch above the cake, holding the bag parallel, I squeeze and then swirl counter clockwise. Practice on a dish and then put that frosting back in the bowl so you are not wasting any frosting.
How do I frost the middle layers?
The best way to frost the inside layers of a cake is to use this piping tip, and pipe counter clock-wise in a concentric circle. This will make the frosting even and it’s such an easy way to fill the cake.
You can also decorate the cake the same way.
Decorating Tip: If you’re going for the fancy rose swirl topping, do that layer first. That way if you’re not happy with it, you can put that one in the middle.
How can I make a larger cake?
This recipe will make one 8 inch double layer cake, a triple layer 6 inch cake. If you want to make an 8 or 9 inch four-layer cake, double the recipe. You can also use this recipe to make a 9 x 13 cake.
More Keto Cake from Spinach Tiger
Nutritional Value for Keto Red Velvet Cake
Red Velvet – eggs, erythritol, almond flour, avocado oil, butter, coconut flour, sour cream, cream cheese, almond milk, unsweetened cocoa, vanilla, baking soda, red food coloring, vinegar, salt, xanthan gum.
Net Carb: 3 Calories: 304 Fat: 29 Grams 12 Servings
Bakery Supplies You May need for this recipe
Keto Red Velvet Layer Cake
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar free maple syrup optional
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 4 tablespoons milk see notes
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring see notes
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- 12 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup Swerve confectioner's sweetener sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream as needed
- 1 teaspoon rose food coloring optional
- In separate bowl from mixer, mix together almond flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, sifted cocoa powder, xanthan gum, Swerve granulated. Set aside.
- Beat eggs for five minutes.
- Stream in oil.
- Put sour cream in measuring cup. Fill with milk up to 1/2 cup mark. (I use Fairlife, which is low-carb. You can use heavy cream if desired). This makes a buttermilk.
- Add food coloring to buttermilk mixture.
- Add vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients to mixer, alternating with buttermilk mixture.
- Add vinegar at the end.
- Mix well.
- Bake immediately for 25 to 30 minutes at 325 degrees F.
- Cool and frost with cream cheese frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Beat butter for five full minutes.
- Mix together butter and cream cheese first until completely smooth.
- Add confectioner's sugar a half cup at a time.
- Add Vanilla.
- Add heavy cream. I find that when I beat that butter long time, the frosting is light and does not need much, if any, heavy cream.
- Add rose colored food coloring just for fun, if desired.
- To fill the inside layers, use a plain large piping tip in concentric circle. Always hold piping bag parallel to the cake.
- To do the roses topping, use a large 1 M tip in piping bag. Hold bag an inch above cake, squeeze and then swirl in concentric circle. It's easier than it looks.
- Keep this cake in refrigerator. Take out an hour before serving. Cake freezes well.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo