Is it really possible to make delicious Italian dishes like grain-free keto chicken piccata and have it be authentic Italian that everyone in the family will love?
Absolutely. Take a look for yourself.
What Exactly is Chicken Piccata?
Piccata is not a dish, but means a method of cooking an entree, usually veal or chicken. The chicken is butterflied, pounded flat, dredged in flour and parmesan cheese. White wine, lemon juice, and capers are mixed in with the drippings along with a finish of butter to make a sauce.
I used almond flour, but you can use all purpose flour or if you’re not doing low-carb or can’t do nut flours.
This is a twenty minute dish inspired by Simple Recipes, but instead of using flour, I made my own grain free coating using extra fine blanched almond flour with freshly grated pecorino Romano. There is no compromise. It’s so delicious.
Tips for Frying Keto Chicken Piccata with Almond Flour
Almond flour is a wonderful coating for frying chicken, but there are a few things you need to know. You have to use finely ground blanched almond flour and it’s helpful to add in some parmesan or pecorino cheese which helps the flour stick and serves as flavor booster.
I fried all of my chicken cutlets on a medium low heat in non-stick pan. Almond flour and the cheese can burn more easily than wheat flour. I also used a meat thermometer, and frequently tested the cutlets to make sure they are at 165 degrees F. and not more, because over-cooked chicken means tough chicken.
- Use blanched super fine almond flour.
- Use a healthy oil, such as avocado oil, or olive oil (do not use coconut oil for this recipe).
- Fry low and slow.
- Remove particles in oil between frying (drippings are saved to make the sauce).
Keto Chicken Piccata is a dish for the whole family.
Kids may not want the sauce or capers, but they will love the chicken, so this is a very family friendly dinner, served best with a bright green salad with a lemon vinaigrette, and a starch. If you’re low-carb, mashed cauliflower or cauliflower rice is great. If not, whipped parmesan potatoes, or a simple pasta like this one would be perfect.
Nutrition Value for Keto Chicken Piccata
Keto Chicken Piccata has 2 net carbs per serving. (This recipes serves 4).
More Low Carb Chicken Recipes from Spinach Tiger
Almond Flour Chicken Piccata with Lemony Butter Sauce (Gluten Free, Keto Friendly)
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts 2 breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 to 2 eggs beaten
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 cup cooking oil avocado or olive oil
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley for garnish
- Butterfly the chicken breasts, by slicing horizontally.
- Place between plastic wrap and gently pound flat.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut into serving size pieces.
- Mix almond flour and grated cheese.
- Dip chicken into egg and then into almond flour cheese mixture.
- Heat oil in pan to medium heat.
- Place chicken in pan (not crowding) and reduce heat to medium low.
- Each side only takes a few minutes. I use an instant read meat thermometer. Chicken must be 165 degrees F (74C).
- You may need to fry in batches.
- Drain and save oil to make sauce.
- Place chicken in warm oven while making sauce.
- Lemon Sauce
- Heat oil (wine or broth) lemon juice and capers on medium heat, until it reduces by half.
- Add butter and stir until incorporated.
- Pour over chicken and serve immediately.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo