Tortilla Fruit Hand Pies
A few years ago I developed a fruit taco recipe for a company that makes raw tortillas, (Tortillaland). They asked for possible dessert ideas and the fruit tortilla hand pie was born.
You might remember my s’mores tortilla dessert here. I’ve also made apple hand pies, pumpkin hand pies and blueberry hand pies the traditional way. But those require a pie crust and more time; this is the easy dessert perfect for after school snacks or when you’re just craving something sweet quickly.
Tips for Make Tortilla Fruit Hand Pies with Raw Tortillas
- Use parchment paper, because the juice of the fruit (especially berries) may leak.
- Use your favorite jam or preserve to spread on half of the tortilla before baking for more flavor or for sweetness.
- When making peach hand pies, use this trick first to easily peel the peaches.
- When using blueberries or strawberries, make sure you use corn starch to absorb the juice.
- Make ahead and freeze for your next party. Serve with vanilla ice cream.
Easy Tortilla Fruit Hand Pies with Peaches or Blueberries
I’m giving you two recipes; one for peaches and one for blueberries. These are very good if you add in vanilla ice cream. If you use apples, cook them on top of the stove first the way I did here.
Tortilla Fruit hand pies are so perfect for a healthier after school snack or a great replacement for boxed fruit tarts (pop tarts).
So tell me have you tried raw tortillas. I would love to hear your creative ideas either here on on my facebook page.
Let’s connect on instagram, where I post lots of food pictures that never make it here.
Tortilla Peach Hand Pies
- 4 -6 ripe peaches
- 8 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- raw flour tortillas
- 1 tablespoon corn starch or enough to rub on each tortilla
- 2 tablespoons milk may not use all of it
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar for garnish
- Cut an x on bottom of each peach. Submerge peaches in a large pot of boiling water for one minute. Remove from boiling water, and remove skins from peaches (should slip right off).
- Slice skinned peaches, and mix with sugar, lemon, juice. Rub the cornstarch on each tortilla. Taste for sweetness and add more sugar if necessary
- Arrange peach slices on one half of flour tortilla, leaving 1/4 inch around the edge. Wet the rim inside before folding. Fold and using a fork, close tortilla.
- Brush milk across tortilla and sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Make slit on top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake on parchment paper, or silpat at 350 degrees in lower third of the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve immediately. You can freeze or reheat.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo
If you want to try raw tortilla fruit hand pies with blueberries, here’s the recipe.
Raw Tortilla Blueberry Hand Pies
- 4 cups fresh blueberries (see note for frozen)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- 8 teaspoons sugar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 4-6 raw tortillas
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar (or regular sugar)
Toss blueberries with sugar, lemon juice and 4 teaspoons of cornstarch so that all the berries are covered. Berries provide a lot of juice and the cornstarch helps to solidify that juice.
Rub additional cornstarch one side of each tortilla. Place blueberries on half of flour tortilla. Wet the rim inside before folding. Use parchment paper.
Brush with milk. Sprinkle with raw sugar. Make small slit on top for steam to escape. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.