By now in the low carb or big fat healthy yum world, you’ve heard of cauliflower mash, a great alternative to mashed potatoes. I posted a great recipe here, which is easy and understands the water content of cauliflower. This recipe, which includes broccoli, takes that to a whole new level, adding seriously healthy broccoli to the mix.
To make this Cauliflower Broccoli Mash even easier for you, there is no cutting, boiling, draining. This recipe uses the frozen organic veggie bags from Costco. If you don’t have access to that, you can purchase elsewhere.
Costco sells large bags of organic vegetables which contain smaller bags, making it very convenient. These bags of Organic Broccoli and Organic Cauliflower rice go right into the microwave. The cooked veggies then go into a super blender with some butter, salt, pepper and softened cream cheese (for smoothing).
Optionally, doctor up with feta cheese, olive oil drizzle, and fresh herbs such as parsley or dill. Would be great with these lamb recipes.
Why Add Broccoli to the Mash?
Broccoli adds a little more heft for those who think a cauliflower mash is too weepy.
How to Use Fresh Cauliflower in Recipe
If you want to use a whole non-frozen cauliflower head, follow the recipe here and add in cooked broccoli and re-blend.
As far as amounts, I used a bag of each.
Ingredients for Broccoli and Cauliflower Mash
- Frozen Organic Cauliflower Rice
- Frozen Organic Broccoli
- 4 tablespoons Cream Cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- herbs: parsley, mint or dill
- Options: Pecorino Romano or Feta Cheese
Make Ahead Side
Cauliflower Broccoli Mash can be made ahead and reheated in the oven or microwave, so it’s perfect for dinner parties, holidays. There are times my husband is traveling and I eat it all week long with a protein side. It also makes great shepherd’s pie, using any left over meat.
More Cauliflower and Broccoli Recipes
- Broccole Basil Soup
- Twice Baked Cauliflower
- How to Make Roasted Broccoli
- Bacon Broccoli Salad
- Flash Fried Greek Cauliflower
Broccoli Cauliflower Mash
- 1 bag frozen broccoli
- 1 bag frozen cauliflower rice or cauliflower
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Pecorino Romano optional
- 1 tablespoon olive oil optional
- 2 ounces feta cheese optional (see notes)
- Microwave frozen vegetables as directed on package.
- Add to super blender (or Vitamix) with remaining ingredients.
- Blend until you have consistency of mash, but not all the way to puree.
- Serve with more butter or a drizzle of olive oil if desired.
- Season more with salt as needed.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo