Brussels Sprouts and Bacon Homemade Pizza is amazing.It has whatever it is that keeps brussels sprouts lovers, well brussels sprouts lovers. As far as bacon, I need to say nothing, except feel free to change this up with pancetta.
I’m not a fan of red tomato sauce on pizza. I know that sounds crazy, and I may make an exception to this for a pepperoni pizza if I’m in the mood for that. Most of the time I like fresh vegetable or fruit combinations and not a ton of cheese.
You can put as much cheese as you like, I like to just make sure most of the brussels sprouts are covered. Add a few on top just to get that crispy brussels sprouts thing going.
I might add this as an option: Before you put the brussels sprouts on, add a layer of fig jam or apple jelly for a little surprise sweetness. Be bold, you might even go with something cherry or berry.
This is the pizza everyone loves and fights over the last piece!
- Pizza Dough (enough for 2 10-inch pizzas)
- 20 brussels sprouts
- 2 shallots, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 strips bacon, cooked, cut crosswise
- Course corn meal
- Preheat oven to 450-500 degrees F.
- Heat cast iron griddle or baking stone for twenty minutes.
- Sprinkle pizza peel with corn meal (or use parchment paper and corn meal). The corn meal helps prevent dough from sticking.
- Thinly slice brussels sprouts, holding onto the stems.
- Saute brussels sprouts, garlic, shallots in 1 tablespoon olive oil, until wilted.
- Put brussels sprouts mixture on dough.
- Top with mozzarella cheese.
- Top with bacon.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, on lowest rack of oven.