Apple berry pie is just another example of the how versatile the apple pie is. There seems to be hundreds of ways to incorporate apples into different types of pies. I encourage home baking because you can control the ingredients and expand your creativity.
Baking at home is not just way more delicious; it an event, a memory, a smell in your kitchen that brings happiness. .
My Southern grandmother, Grandma Grace, made us mini pies when I was a child. My brother and I always felt so special when she baked this size pie for us. She is where I get the 1/4 not Italian and part of my food heritage that leans Americana. She was born in Virginia and was legendary for her fried chicken and her pies. I’m proud to say there’s not a non-cook on any side of my family.
The mini pie serving is probably enough to share, although a real apple pie lover could probably finish one. I used only one apple per small pie, and if you want to bake a larger pie, increase the ingredients by about 20%. I like apple pie to be high, as apples can cook down. I added in frozen mixed berries which consisted of raspberries, blackberries and blueberries. The berries give the apples a nice deep red tone.
I used cameo apples which are slightly tart and because berries tend to lose their sweetness in baking, this pie was not very sweet. I like it that way, but I’m adjusting the recipe a little sweeter. Apple berry pie is so pretty, I did a lattice top to show it off.
I paint my pies with milk to aid in browning because I can’t bare to waste a good egg. Mini pies are versatile. You can use cookie cutters to cut out dough toppings for another fun way to show off the color of this pie.
Involve kids in the kitchen, boys included. These boys started cooking in the kitchen before they were two years old. Those flour messes were worth it. These kind of food memories will last a life time. If I could be granted three wishes, one of them would be to scratch our current food culture and start over, where it would be the norm that everyone is taught to prepare real food, together. The table is worn out from many long meals and lively dinner conversations and no one eats in a car. Apple Berry Pie is a great place to start.
See a Video how to make perfect pie crust here.
Apple Berry Pie
- One Pie Crust see note above recipe for link to my pie crust recipe
- 4 large apples peeled, sliced
- 1 to 2 cups of frozen or fresh mixed berries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Sliced apples small enough across so they will fit into a smaller pie pan. This is not necessary if you making a large pie. Mixed sliced apples with sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice and salt. Add in berries, and mix with your hands.
- Divide the Dough into six pieces. Four pieces will be enough for each small pie. The remaining two pieces will be used for the lattice.
- Note: When making the lattice strips, I use the edge of a rubber spatula as a my ruler to get straight edges.
- Place each piece of rolled dough into each pie pan, making sure not to stretch dough. Fill each pie high enough to be higher than the edge.
- Cover each pie with alternating lattice strips. Brush with milk to increase browning.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo