I am clearly Italian, but I have strong American roots in my cuisine. My signature dishes include roast chicken, biscuits and apple pie. In fact, if I have to take dinner to someone, that’s what I make. It’s a friendly meal that is easy to put together, and smacks of love.
Nothing on this earth is as good as a homemade apple pie, baked from scratch, and like a roast chicken, it is universally loved. Have you ever met a person who doesn’t eat apple pie? I haven’t. Apple pie from scratch makes me go all out too. I want to make it sky high or turn it into a tart, and there always has to be ice cream.
I’m currently crushing on Breyer’s salted caramel, which is creamy and more like a gelato to me and is amazing on top of apple pie.
In the Fall, I like to use the Autumn Leaves Cut out, but let your imagination run wild. You can choose stars and stripes, or even ghost cut-outs.
Apple pie from scratch has to have balance, meaning, the pie crust has to be great, but so does that filling. I don’t like grocery store pies that are too sweet or too mushy. I make my apple pie only as sweet as I need it to be and not a drop of sugar more.
The only thing that I love more than plain old apple pie, is Christmas Apple Pie, where I use Christmas tree cookie cut outs to make the top crust and swirl in raspberry (or blackberry) preserves or jam to add color and additional flavor.
The secret ingredient was suggested by Taylor Swift in Southern Living. Break up graham crackers and put them on top of the bottom crust before adding apples. A little extra crunch and gingerbread flavor.
Now you could make this with an Autumn theme or just give it a plain crust, but I love to see the apples peaking through. You can go healthier by using this spelt pie crust.
This is not a super sweet recipe, and I wouldn’t change a thing, but you can certainly add more sugar or even replace the sugar and use stevia.
I have another amazing apple pie tart here. I cook the apples on top of the stove.
How about you. Do you have any good apple recipes? Leave me a link. I’d love to connect with you.
- !Apple PIe Ingredients
- 1 double pie dough recipe (see below)
- 8 cups apples, thinly sliced (see note)
- juice of half lemon
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons raw sugar
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 15 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons iced cold water
- !Apple Pie Instructions
- Peel, core and slice apples thinly
- Toss with lemon juice.
- Mix cinnamon into sugar. Toss with apples.
- Let sit for about an hour. Make Pie Crust. Refrigerate pie crust for at least 30 minutes.
- After an hour you'll notice a juice from the apples is expelled.
- Divide pie dough in two. Roll out pie dough for the bottom to about ⅛ inch thick.
- Place in bottom of pie pan. Fork bottom. Place in freezer for 10 minutes.
- Toss apple mixture with 1 tablespoon of tapioca or corn starch.
- Place into the pie.
- Roll out second piece of dough. Place over top. Use your knife and make air vents.
- Use egg wash or milk over the pie top. Sprinkle on raw sugar.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until golden brown.
For Christmas Apple Pie: Use Christmas cookie cut outs and two tablespoons of raspberry jam drizzled over the apples before you put the top on. To bring that Christmas flavor through even further, crush graham crackers on the top of the bottom crust before putting the apples on.
Ideas for Apple Pie from Scratch
Add a flavored jam such as apricot (for Fall), Raspberry for Christmas, Blueberry for Summer.
Crush some graham crackers on the bottom of the pie between the pie dough and the apples for added crunch. Taylor Swift recommended that in what she calls her epic apple pie.
Make individual tarts and put one dough cut-out on each top.
Sprinkle with colored sugar.
Top dough with crushed pecans.