There is a magical taste and texture to cream cheese frosting. I like it so much more than plain vanilla butter cream because it’s not so sweet. It also captures flavors exquisitely.
Two Recipes for the Best Cream Cheese Frosting
I couldn’t decide which recipe I liked better, so I’m giving you two of them. One is more cream cheese centric; one has a bigger butter ratio. It really depends on which kind of cake you’re making.
I like the cream cheese centric one when the cake is denser, such as the coconut cupcakes, or carrot cake.
Add in some nutmeg and coconut for the best coconut cupcakes in the world. In fact, since you’re here, I need to tell you that I have made those cupcakes more than 30 times and it’s my most requested recipe from friends.
The quintessential cake and cream cheese duo has always been the much beloved red velvet cake with a vanilla cream cheese frosting. I wouldn’t dare try to play with this combination. It’s classic. It’s perfect and that’s why it shows up so often at weddings and special occasions. Recently, I even created a new cream cheese frosting with espresso.
Either cream cheese frosting would be great in these red velvet jars.
Both are delicious and I’m giving you the choice.
You might even change the ratio for your own taste buds. Ingredients to consider playing with include orange zest, orange juice, dark rum, real vanilla bean, sea salt, crumbled cookies, various herbs, cocoa powder, heavy cream, maple syrup, nutmeg, cinnamon, or any pureed berries. You may need to adjust the amount of confectioner’s sugar to get the right consistency. You want it to be able to hold shape as above.
And just for fun, I recently made a goat cheese, cream cheese frosting.
Caramel Frosting Recipe that You Can Pipe
So tell me, what is your favorite cake or ingredient in a good cream cheese frosting?
Two Perfect Recipes for the Best Cream Cheese Frosting
Cream Cheese Frosting No. 1
- 10 ounces cream cheese softened
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 cups confectioner's sugar
- 2 teaspoons real vanilla order here
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon milk or heavy cream
Cream Cheese No. 2
- 12 ounces cream cheese softened (1 1/2 of the 8 ounce packages)
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 5 to 5 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 3 tablespoons of heavy cream optional If you use this option, you will need to add in another 1/2 cup or more of confectioners' sugar)
- 2 teaspoons real vanilla extract order here
Cream Cheese No. 1
- Cream butter and cream cheese together. Add in sugar, one cup at a time. Add vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy. Add milk or cream if it needed, if it's too stiff.
Cream Cheese No. 2
- Cream butter and cream cheese together. Add in confectioners' sugar, one cup at a time. Add in heavy cream and vanilla. Beat until fluffy.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo