This is the first time I’ve made a sugar free cranberry sauce. I used powdered erythriitol (Swerve confectioner’s) and then my go to recipe adding in orange and cinnamon. You can make this same recipe with sugar if you choose to, but if I can cut the sugar at this big fat meal, I’m going to.
The only thing you really need to know about cranberry sauce is that you should make your own because it’s super easy. It’s going to be tart no matter what, which is wonderful for cutting through all that fat in a heavy meal, but it will be a little more tart using a substitute. I actually like that.
You can also play with this recipe by adding in some frozen blueberries if you want a little bit of natural sweetener.
You should also make this your own. I used orange zest only to keep the sugar low, but a little bit of orange liquer never hurt anyone.
Also, you can make a marvelous simple syrup with any extra, which is very useful for festive cocktails.
I loved this cranberry sauce left over for my stir fry stuffing!
Big Fat Healthy Orange Cranberry Sauce with a lower carb, Sugar Free Option
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries
- 1 cup Swerve Granulated erythritol
- zest of one orange
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon or a cinnamon stick
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur optional
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Put everything into a saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook stirring frequently until the cranberries pop.
- Remove from stove. Stir in black pepper. Cool. Then chill.
3 net carbs per serving
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo