On my way to making a biscuit-topped cobbler with some blackberries we picked at the farm, I experimented and came up with the best gluten free shortcake biscuits recipe.
Gluten Free Shortcake Biscuits with Ginger and Lemon Zest.
Why didn’t anyone tell me what a great combination this could be. Ginger and lemon, when paired with any kind of berries, just make the whole dish taste better.
I also accidentally learned something about gluten free biscuits.
Unlike my southern fluffy biscuit recipe a post that has gone viral, it’s better to bake them apart instead of touching. Before I put the biscuit dough on top of the blackberries (a recipe that’s coming this week), I baked just one to see how it would taste. That just one became a new recipe for gluten free shortcake biscuits.
It’s has a nice crispiness to it on the outside and is soft on the inside, yet stable enough to hold fruit, milk, whipped cream, ice cream, whichever way you prefer your shortcake. It’s also good just by itself.
If you’re looking for non-gluten free shortcake biscuits made with all-purpose flour, you can use the recipe I developed here. Just add in one tablespoon of freshly-grated ginger and one teaspoon of lemon zest.
This gluten free shortcake biscuits can be placed on fresh fruit and baked as a biscuit cobbler.
Please connect with me on instagram where I post food pictures and more every day.
Coming soon, a gluten free blackberry cobbler using this recipe.
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 lemon zested
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 cups gluten free flour (I use Bob's Red Mill one to one baking)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 8 tablespoons butter, cold, cut into cubes
- 1 egg
- 1 cup cream
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar for garnish
- Mix lemon zest and ginger with sugar. Set aside.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt with a whisk.
- Add in flavored sugar. Mix well.
- Add butter and mix with fingers until crumbly.
- Add egg to cream. Mix.
- Add cream mixture to flour.
- Using a wooden spoon, mix well together.
- Pat into an 8 inch round.
- Cut into rounds with a biscuit cutter.
- Place at least 2 inches apart on a baking sheet.
- Brush with cream or milk. Sprinkle raw sugar on top.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 450 degrees.
- Depending on how large you cut biscuit, you should get 8-10.
More Gluten Free Recipes