After a moment of thinking about what it means to be a free country, and feeling gratitude, I usually get to baking something with blueberries. The blueberry farm behind us is open for picking and yesterday I picked six pounds of juicy sweet organic berries.
Baking a blueberry galette is a great way to celebrate this holiday, along with corn salad which will be posted on Saturday, maple bourbon baked beans, and something special I made for the Secret Recipe Club which will be posted Monday.
A galette is an easy way to get out of making pie and worrying about beautifully crimped edges, etc. I gravitate to rustic food that looks like love. This is just one of those desserts. This is headed over to a neighbor’s house in a few hours.
Serve with lemon ice cream if you dare and don’t forget the fresh thyme. Blueberries love herbs. If you don’t have thyme, try a little fresh basil.
See my video for pie crust here.
Blueberry Thyme Galette
- 1 pie crust recipe
- 4 cups blueberries
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons blueberry honey or sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant tapioca
- dash salt
- 1 egg for egg wash
- raw sugar for sprinkling
- fresh thyme sprigs
- Make pie crust recipe
- Put blueberries in bowl and toss with remaining ingredients except the thyme, egg and raw sugar.
- Roll out crust to large circle.
- Place blueberry mixture in center leaving about 2 inchs of dough.
- Fold over and pleat.
- Brush with egg wash.
- Sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 45-50 minutes.
- Sprinkle thyme leaves all over the center where the berries are.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo