On a whim I lightly cooked raw tortillas from TortillaLand and placed each in a tart pan for quiche. I was quite surprised at how great it baked in the oven and. Easy, and tasty, I had quiche in twenty minutes. You can used other tortillas for this recipe, but I haven’t tested those.
The Creative Cooking Crew challenged us this month with the tomato. This tomato bacon quiche will serve as my second entry, as I already submitted a fresh tomato bisque soup. This is truly a creative recipe, because it’s taking a very common ingredient (the tortilla) and using it an unconventional way. It puffed up during baking, and it saves quite a few calories in the process, not using typical pie crust. Even using heavy cream, bacon and cheese, each individual quiche comes in at around 300 calories.
This is a keeper recipe for the holidays. If you use small tart pans, you can vary your ingredients to your guests taste or just get wildly creative with leftovers.
I used two types of tomatoes from my garden (red and yellow), but you can use anything. Feel free to add in your own take on herbs and spices.
Visit the Creative Cooking Crew Pinterest Page. Thank you Lazaro Cooks and Foodalogue for this month’s fun challenge. Click the link logo to see 200 plus recipes the Creative Cooking Crew has created.
Tomato Bacon Cheddar Quiche with Tortilla Crust
- 4 four-inch tart pans
- 2 slices bacon cooked, cut into pieces
- 4 flour tortillas
- baking spray or oil for tart pans
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese grated
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped chives
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- Spray pans or use oil for tart pan. If using raw tortilla as I have, cook first 15 seconds on each side, not browned. Place tortilla in tart pan, Cut off what is left over.
- Mix together eggs, cheese, cream, bacon, chives. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour into quiche pans.
- Place chopped tomatoes in pan.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes at 375 or until quiche no longer jiggles.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo