Sugar Free Keto Pavlova Cups
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I’ve made pavlova here before, but this is my first sugar free keto pavlova, a light dessert ready for your favorite fruit and just about zero carbs.
Keto Pavlova is a delicious light egg white dessert, mainly made with whipped egg whites, sweetener and cream of tartar, baked at a low temperature, until the outside is crunchy and the inside is like marshmallow.
You can make one big pavlova, but I like making individual servings, as they are so pretty and elegant and easy to eat.
What is Pavlova?
Pavlova, not be confused with meringues, is an egg white creation that is soft on the inside and crispy on the outside. The boys used to call them marshmallow cakes. Both New Zealand and Australia take credit for this luscious and light dessert.
Why do you use cream of tartar for Keto Pavlova?
The cream of tartar helps to stabilize the egg whites. You could also use a teaspoon of white vinegar or a squeeze of lemon juice.
What is best way to whip egg whites?
You want to beat your egg whites till glossy. This is very important. If they are not glossy, they will not be able to be piped and won’t have enough structure.
If you fill a piping bag and you can’t pipe, put back into bowl and continue beating. You don’t want pavlova cups that weep in the oven.
This is what your pavlova cups will look like. Notice they aren’t browned.
How do you bake pavlova cups?
Pavlova is tricky. You want the inside soft and the outside crunchy. But, you also don’t want it runny, which can happen on humid days or when you try to bake pavlova that has no texture and has not been whipped long enough. You want glossy.
One thing you must do is have patience. Bake low and slow for 30 minutes at 200 degrees F, 30 minutes at 180 F, (if your oven goes that low). Turn oven off. Leave in oven for another 15 minutes. Then bring out and cool completely.
Sugar Free Keto Pavlova Cups Macros
Nutrition Value: There are NO CARBS in Sugar Free Pavlova. One egg white is .2 carbs just to be technically correct.
Top with your favorite whipped cream and few strawberries for a real treat of minimal carbs and lots of yum. One forth cup of strawberries is about 3 carbs, making pavlova cups with whipped cream and strawberries a perfect keto treat.
What do you do with the egg yolks?
Use them for a budino or curd. You can make that separately or fill the cups with curd or budino.
Try these keto friendly recipes from Spinach Tiger
Keto Pavlova Cups
- parchment paper or silpat for baking sheet
- 4 large egg whites room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- dash salt
- 1/4 cup Swerve Confectioner's
- Beat egg whites until foamy
- Add in cream of tarter, salt and Swerve Confectioner's Sweetener
- Beat on high until stiff and resembles marshmallow cream. It has to be stiff enough to pipe with a 3 M tip in piping bag. If it doesn't pipe easily, beat egg whites longer.
- Using parchment paper to line a baking sheet or use a silpat.
- Turn oven down to 200 degrees F. for one 1/2 hour. Lower heat to 180 degrees for 1/2 hour. Turn oven off and leave in oven for one hour. You CAN bake these for 75 minutes at 200 degrees, but they may get too golden. I try to keep them as white as possible. The ideal is soft inside, crunchy outside. They will be soft when you turn oven off, but the outside will crisp up as they cool.
- Cool completely. These are best made several hours before serving, up to a few days.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo
How do you store your pavlovas. I made them for the next day.
I usually put them in an airtight container.