Scratch everything you think you know about Brussels Sprouts, how and when to serve them, and think bright green shredded salad with toasted almonds, and lemony, garlicky olive oil. You might love roasting them like I do and serving them at your holiday meals. But, have you ever thought about shredding them and mixing them with sauteed peas ? I didn’t think so.
January is eat green month around here, a time to cleanse, detox and eat a lot of raw fresh fruit and vegetables. We eat a lot of Brussels sprouts for their detox power. I added peas to the salad for protein and the”fill” factor making this a perfect salad to eat as a stand alone for lunch or accompany some brown rice for a delightful meatless meal.
This recipe is dairy free, sugar free, gluten free, vegan, vegetarian, and low glycemic. It’s a base of good textures and healthy ingredients. However, you can do a lot of things to change it up. Bacon is a great addition to the flavor profile as is crispy prosciutto or pancetta. A few chopped green olives or capers can add a briny punch. Add dried fruit (cranberries, apricots) can add another layer of texture. You can eat this salad warm or at room temperature with brown rice, a little pasta, or for something really different, as a topping for white pizza. We liked it so much we just ate it all up just like it is, enjoying every healthy January bite.
- 1-2 shallots, sliced thinly
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oi, maybe more for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- sea salt, freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4 cups shredded Brussels sprouts
- juice of one lemon with zest
- Defrost frozen peas. Set aside
- Rinse Brussels sprouts well, as there could be dirt hiding in between leaves. Trim stems. Shred brussels sprouts with mandolin for slice with chef's knife. If you do use a mandolin, be very careful and use the safety. I find it easier to use a sharp knife and slice very thinly.
- Saute shallots in 1 tablespoon olive oil until softened. Add in garlic and almonds. Saute until almonds are toasted. Add in peas until they are warmed through. Add in Brussels sprouts. Turn off stove.
- Zest lemon. Set aside. Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice. Sprinkle with lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper.