Many years ago when I started blogging, I traveled to Napa, California and stumbled upon the Rancho Gordo Heirloom Beans store. This opened up a whole new perception of beans. One of the stand outs is Christmas Lima Beans.
Christmas Lima Beans Recipe for Soup
Christmas Lima Beans are beautiful. They are big, fat, meaty and a gorgeous burgundy color with white stripes. I refer to them as the steak of beans.
Where to find Christmas Lima Beans
You can find them on Amazon or order direct from a bean company like Rancho Gordo here. If you get to Napa, look up the store and visit.
Meaty (almost chestnut-like) this soup is filling and flavorful.
Christmas Lima Beans Soup Ingredients
- Chicken Broth
- Christmas Lima Beans
- Garlic Cloves
- Can Italian Plum Tomatoes
How To Cook Christmas Lima Beans
- Rinse Beans and soak overnight with a tablespoon of salt.
- To cook the next day, change the water.
- Simmer in fresh cold water (with two inches to spare) to a simmer until tender (about 45 minutes). Taste to make sure.
How to Make Tomato Broth
Tomato broth is my favorite broth for soups. I use a can Italian plum tomatoes (squishing them in my hands) into organic boxed chicken broth. Sautè garlic and onion in some olive oil. Add tomatoes, broth and herbs and you have a delicious broth. If you want it to be even easier, you can use garlic powder and onion powder.
Hearty Soup Made Easy
Once you have made your beans tender (see above), add beans and cooked macaroni to your tomato broth. You want to add cooked macaroni, because if you cook the macaroni in the broth, it will soak it all up.
Add plenty of herbs such as parsley and basil. Season with salt and pepper and you are done! Add a few cherry tomatoes for color if you have them on hand. Serve with a smattering of pecorino romano. Don’t forget salt and pepper! Enjoy a simple, easy, hearty dinner!
More Bean Soups from Spinach Tiger
The first time I did a Christmas Lima Beans Recipe, it was a thick bean stew here made with celery leaves, olives and lemon.
Christmas Lima Bean Macaroni Soup
- 1 pound Christmas lima beans cooked with broth reserved (or 2 1/2 pounds cooked beans, see recipe for cooking below)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 pound macaroni
- 8 garlic cloves chopped use every bit of it, the garlic gets absorbed into the soup
- 1 large can Italian plum tomatoes roughly chopped, with juice (use fresh tomatoes if they are ripe)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- chopped parsley to garnish soup
- black pepper
- pecorino romano freshly grated
- Soak beans overnight with 2 inches water over beans. Add tablespoon salt.
- Rinse beans. Put beans in fresh water with 2 inches of water and simmer uncovered until beans are tender, about 45 minutes. IF you didn't soak beans, you cook, but you will add at least another 20 minutes cook time (maybe more).
- Heat olive oil in pan. Add garlic, sprinkle of salt and cook for ten minutes.
- Add tomatoes, cook a few minutes.
- Add beans and broth.
- Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Cook macaroni according to directions, minus two minutes. Add to soup and continue to simmer until the macaroni is tender.
- Garnish with fresh basil and or parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with Pecorino Romano or Parmesan.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo