Sausage Corn Muffins
There are a lot of things you can do with country sausage. Stuffing sausage into corn muffins that are tender, tasty and made from scratch is one of them that is a perfect Southern treat.
The process is fairly easy. Brown the sausage and drain and then decide which cornbread camp you’re in. Do you want your cornbread to be more cornbread texture, crumbly? Use 1 1/2 cups cornmeal to 1/2 cup flour.
You have to decide if your sausage corn mufins to have cake-like or more cornmeal-like texture
Do you want your cornbread to be more cake-like in texture? Use even amounts of cornmeal to flour.
Do you like your sausage corn muffins on the sweet side?
Once you’ve solved that, do you want your cornbread sweet? This decision changes region to region. Usually, I like a little bit of sweetness, but not so much when I’m adding sausage. If you like sweet, add the optional sugar.
Now you have to decide if you want spicy or mild sausage. Both are good, but I do tend to like spicy. You can use loose country sausage or just crumble up sausage patties.
Make Sausage Corn Muffins Gluten Free
When you choose to make sausage corn muffins gluten free, use the ratio 1 1/2 cups corn meal to 1/2 cup gluten free flour. Make sure your corn meal is made in a gluten free factory or is designated officially gluten free like this brand. My favorite gluten free flour is this brand.
Now that you’ve decided how you like your cornbread, make these muffins for your next brunch. You can also make these ahead, keep frozen and heat up for quick made from scratch breakfasts.
Your might love this pimento cheese cornbread.
- 1 pound, cooked, drained and crumbled mild country sausage
- 1 and ½ cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 ½ cups cornmeal (see cooking notes) order here
- ½ cup all purpose flour (see note for gluten free option)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook sausage patties in oven according to package instructions.
- Crumble into small bite sized pieces. Set aside.
- Preheat oven375 degrees.
- Melt butter in microwave (20-30 seconds)
- Mix cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, sugar with a whisk until well incorporated.
- Mix in shredded cheese, reserving ⅓ cup cheese to top muffins.
- Mix in sausage.
- Mix eggs with buttermilk and blend into dry mix. (Don’t over mix).
- Prepare muffin pans with baking spray or oil, or use cupcake liners.
- Pour into muffin pans.
- Top with about a teaspoon of cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until a tester comes out clean.
- Cooking Notes: for a more cake-like cornbread, mix 1 cup corn meal to 1 cup flour.