Keto Fried Eggplant with Pork Panko
Fried eggplant was usually my mom’s specialty, but she’s was not likely to make a grain free, keto friendly version.
Keto fried eggplant is versatile.
Keto fried eggplant can be a side dish, an appetizer or the start of keto eggplant parmesan like I made here.
It’s a simple recipe, using Pork Panko (amazon) (my favorite keto friendly ingredient), but there are few things you have to keep in mind. You can find jars of Pork Panko at Costco now at a very reasonable price.
Fried eggplant is the kind of side or appetizer that will disappear in moments. I hosted a brunch last year and my mom brought her eggplant. It was the only dish completely gone and gone fast!
Is Fried Eggplant keto friendly?
Yes, the pork panko is zero carbs and one cup of cubed eggplant is only 2.3 net carbs.
Cooking Tips for Keto Fried Eggplant
I discovered that using a non-stick frying pan with NO oil makes crispier eggplant. I use the copper chef frying pan that requires no oil or butter
If you’re looking for healthy, low-carb vegetables, I have listed over 30 low-carb vegetables with over 75 recipes here.
More Eggplant Recipes from Spinach Tiger
Keto Fried Eggplant Recipe
- 2 eggplants
- 2 eggs
- 2 to 4 cups Pork Panko or pork rinds ground to crumbs
- 1 cup pecorino romano grated OPTIONAL
- olive oil optional
- Slice eggplant. I like it medium thick, about 1 inch if I'm baking it without stacking it.
- Sweat the eggplant. Lay out on cloth or paper towels and salt heavily on both sides. Use more cloth or paper towels to absorb the liquid.
- Make sure to wipe off salt with paper towels before dipping into egg.
- Beat 2 eggs. You may not need all, so beat more as you need them.
- Add salt and pepper into eggs.
- Mix panko with cheese. I like to use ½ cup cheese to 1 cup pork panko, but you can decide for yourself. Keep in mind that pecorino is salty, but I think that adds flavor. You do not need to use the cheese if you don't want to,
- Dip into egg, then breadcrumbs and fry eggplant over medium low heat. I use a non-stick pan that does not require any oil. This is the best way to fry the eggplant crispy. You can use oil in a frying pan, but I've discovered it's better to use no oil. Medium low heat and patience. The eggplant will get crunchy.
- Season with sea salt
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo