Truth be told, this soup was an accident. I made eggplant stew this summer when the eggplants and tomatoes were sold fresh at the farmer’s market. I felt lazy, but wanted to do something special and comforting with the eggplant.
Italian Eggplant Soup can be make in a crockpot or dutch oven.
I did what I always do, cutting and salting. I then just put tomatoes, red bell pepper, onions, and eggplant in a dutch oven and let it simmer for hours. You could also put this in a crockpot. This montage of vegetables developed into an outstanding eggplant stew, creating an umami type taste, because we could not stop eating it.
I love this oval dutch oven from Lodge. I make so many wonderful dishes in it.
On a whim, I took the leftovers and put them in the Vitamix and made a thick soup, then added Italian sausage. This hit all the notes of Italian comfort food! If you don’t have the fresh tomatoes, use San Marzano Tomatoes in a can.
You will love this soup and you’ll be sad when it’s gone! Make this soup on a cold, wintry day and, because it takes time in the crock pot or dutch oven, make this gluten free french bread to go with it. It only takes an hour start to stop!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- 2 eggplants, peeled cut into large cubes
- 2 large cans San Marzano Tomatoes (about 6 cups)
- 1 bell pepper, seeded, sliced thinly, lengthwise
- 1 onion, chopped
- fresh basil
- 2 links Italian Sausage or ½ pound loose sausage
- Chop tomatoes. Set aside. Keep the juice.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot.
- If using a dutch oven on top of the stove, heat olive oil and soften garlic. Add onion and saute for a minute or so just to add flavor to the oil.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Place in crock pot on low for six hours or longer.
- Or, Cook on very low for three hours, until all the eggplant is very soft.
- While eggplant stew is cooking, make sausage. You can either fry or bake in oven until cooked through.
- Cut sausage into discs.Optionally, you could use loose sausage.
- Put ¾ eggplant stew into a vitamix or use an immersion blender. You can blend all of it if you desire.
- Add sausage.
- Serve with fresh herbs and freshly grated parmesan cheese.