Kale and Apple Salad
This is one of those salads I made over and over and over. It’s just that good and it’s a wonderful way to usher in the Fall with kale and apples dressed with a maple vinaigrette.
Kale and Apple Salad is great with Maple Vinaigrette
Maple vinaigrette is easy to make and so perfect for a heavy tough green like kale. I use maple syrup, dijon mustard, olive oil and apple cider vinegar.
This is the perfect pot luck salad. It can be dressed with this cider maple vinaigrette and made ahead of time. Greens are royal produce and kale is king. I love it for it heartiness. It doesn’t wilt easily, making it nothing like spinach at all. It maintains a chew even when sautéed, and it stays very edible long after it’s dressed.
I added in a chopped sautèed sweet potato which was tossed with olive oil, maple syrup and cayenne pepper. You can leave this out if you want your salad to be lighter.
Every single time I bring this salad to a party, people want the recipe and there is none left. People that think they don’t like kale love this salad.
Kale salad is even good left over if you ever have any left over.
Tell me, do you have a go to dish for carting to dinner parties or potlucks.
More Salads Good for Parties from Spinach Tiger
Kale and Apple Salad with Raisins, Pecans, and a Cider Maple Vinaigrette Salad Dressing
- 1 bunch of lacinato or tuscan kale
- 1 apple in small slices with skin on
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 10 roasted walnuts or pecans
- 1 sweet potato
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper more or less to your liking
- 3 teaspoon maple syrup divided (one for sweet potato, one for nuts, one for dressing)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon maple sryup can use a sugar free
- 2 tablespoons olive oil Start with one tablespoon and add as you need it
- Carefully cut out the ribs of the kale. Rinse and dry.
- Cut into bite size pieces. Some people like kale finely chopped. That's an option.
- slice apples thinly with skins on
- toss walnuts or pecans with 1 teaspoon of maple syrup
- Roast walnuts for 5 minutes at 375. Set aside.
- Toss kale with apples, raisins and nuts.
- Peal and cut sweet potato into cubes. Toss with olive oil, cayenne pepper, salt and a teaspoon of maple syrup. Bake on baking sheet at 350 until done about 15 minutes. You can also saute on top of the stove.
Maple Vinaigrette Dressing
- Place maple syrup, mustard and vinegar, olive oil in blender or magic bullet. (I used my Vitamix).
- Toss salad with dressing. You may not need all the dressing.
- Make ahead. I made salad and dressed it two hours before eating it. The left over salad went into the refrigerator and we ate it the next day. It was still good.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo