Italian Sausage and Greens Stir Fry with Ricotta
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Italian Sausage and Greens Stir Fry is absolutely delicious and easy. It’s a little extra special with dollops of ricotta cheese and a smattering of Pecorino Romano.
Last Saturday, I was the Nolensville farmer’s market where you can find me featuring our keto baked goods. I and purchased the biggest, most beautiful rainbow swiss chard.
You could replace the swiss chard with kale if you like. Olive oil, garlic and sausage make greens oh so tasty.
Swiss chard is considered a nutritional powerhouse, an excellent source of vitamins K, A, and C, as well as a good source of magnesium, potassium, iron, and dietary fiber. Swiss chard does contain oxolates and may not be the be the best choice for those concerned with kidney stones.
If this is a concern, kale would be a better choice and will also work well in this recipe. We have a lot of kale recipes here, so you know we love our kale. I wouldn’t use spinach for this recipe, as it doesn’t have the heft and texture this recipe needs.
Use loose Italian sausage, mild or hot, and crumble into a hot pan that has been oiled first. Use a wooden spoon and continue stirring to get every sausage crumble fully cooked. Drain and set aside. Clean out pan and use to sautè greens in olive oil and garlic.
Olive oil, garlic and salt are always a great start to greens. The crumbled Italian sausage adds fat, protein and ton of flavor. I generally fry a few cloves of garlic in the oil and then remove, before adding my greens. I don’t sautè the greens in the sausage oil, because the olive oil really adds the flavor I’m looking for. Once softened, add sausage back in, stir up, add dollops of ricotta cheese (which is an option) and bake for ten minutes. Finish off with grated parmesan or Pecorino Romano. If you want heat, sprinkle soe red chili flakes to taste. Enjoy. This is a delicious supper and is great left over.
Notes: You can substitute pork Italian sausage with turkey Italian Sausage. You can use mustard greens, Swiss chard, kale or any green that has heft (not spinach). You could even use broccoli rabe.
This is a dish that is so easy, so good, we will make this every few weeks. It reheats beautifully.
Similar Dishes from Spinach Tiger
- Broccoli Rabe and Sausage
- How to Sautè Swiss Chard Italian Style
- Italian Ground Beef Kale Stir Fry
- Swiss Chard Nectarine Salad
- Melted Kale
- Easy Collard Greens
- Low Carb Italian Sausage Recipe with Spaghetti Squash
Italian Sausage and Greens Stir Fry
- 1 bunch Swiss Chard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons Pecorino or Parmesan freshly grated
- 1 pound Loose Italian Sausage
- 4 ounces ricotta cheese
- Trim the tips of the swiss chard. Discard.
- Rinse, dry, and chop swiss chard. Cut the stems into a small dice. Cut the leaves larger, as they will reduce in size.
- Heat frying pan prior to adding oil.
- Add oil and turn to medium heat.
- Add garlic cloves and sautè until golden. Remove and discard. Do not over brown.
- Add chard leaves and stem to pan and sautè until softened.
- Add Parmesan or Pecorino and toss.
- Season with red chili flakes to taste, and add salt and pepper.
- Remove greens to a bowl in order to cook sausage in same pan.
- You may need to add a tablespoon of oil to pan. Crumble sausage and cook until cooked through.
- Add greens back in and mix with sausage.
- Add dollops of ricotta cheese and bake in oven for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkled Pecorino Romano or parmesan.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo