How to Grill Corn on the Cob Seven Ways
We wait all winter for the first crop of corn on the cob. So many months go by, that I tend forget how to grill it.
Did I grill it in the husk or out of the husk? Should I cook it first before I put it on the grill. Should I keep it in the husk, or warp it in foil?
Sometimes corn is so fresh and tender, it doesn’t even need butter.
Sometimes you want to make the corn a little more special by adding flavor and fat. Whichever method you use, make sure your corn is as fresh as possible. Corn loses flavor as it ages, but fresh corn is sweet, so do try to buy local.
Before adding flavor, fat and spice, decide upon the method to grill corn.
1. No Trouble Corn on the Grill – Throw the corn on the grill in the husk, unshucked. This will result in very sweet, tender, steamed corn. Grill 10 minutes. Husk will be very black, but corn should be steamed and perfect. Add butter and salt at the table.
2. Microwave – Wrap corn husk and hairs in a wet paper towel. Microwave for three minutes. Done.
3. Tin Foil – This is an option if you don’t like charred corn. Shuck corn, clean and wrap in foil. You can butter or wait till after the corn is done.
4. Naked Corn – Grill directly with or without seasoning.
5. Semi-Naked Corn – Remove hairs, keep corn in husk and then grill for 10 minutes. (This is my favorite method).
It takes about 10 minutes to get corn browned on a hot grill.
Grill Corn Seven Different Ways.
Once you have decided how to cook the corn, here are some ways to enhance the flavor.
1. Butter and Lime – Add lime zest and a squeeze of lime to softened butter. Mix together. Spread on corn. Grill 5 minutes on each side or until done to your liking. Season with salt and pepper. Lime does something magical to corn and you might want to add it to any of the variations below.
2. Steak Sauce, Butter, Lime- Use your favorite steak sauce. Mix even amounts with softened butter. Season as needed with salt and pepper. Grill corn 5 minutes on each side or until done.
3. Basil Pesto – rub pesto into the corn. Grill 10 minutes. You can put the pesto on the corn at the end as an option.
4. Bacon, Mayo, Chives, Parmesan Cheese – Rub corn with mayonnaise. Grill corn for ten minutes, turning after five minutes. Add bacon, chives and cheese before serving.
5. Cayenne, Butter, Lime. Make a mixture of butter, lime juice and cayenne pepper. Grill corn. Season with salt.
6. Smoked Paprika, Butter, Salt. Grill corn with a smoky flavor.
7. Butter and Salt – Traditional and if the corn is fresh, you really don’t need much.
You might love these summer corn recipes.
So tell me, what is YOUR favorite way to eat or grill corn on the cob?
How to Cook Corn on the Cob
- corn on the cob
- Wrap entire corn on the cob unshucked in wet paper towel and microwave for three minutes.
- For steamed-like corn, grill for ten minutes, turning once, in entire husk, unshucked.
- For charred corn, remove hair and return corn to husk and grill for then minutes. You can at this time add your butter or mayonnaise.
- For charred corn, you can put the corn out of husk, directly on grill for 10 minutes, turning at least once.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo