It’s nearing the end of summer, but that doesn’t mean we aren’t enjoying summer food like grilled corn and tomato salad, especially when the corn comes from a friend’s farm and the tomatoes from my backyard.
I added in an avocado and fresh squeezed lime, a touch of olive oil, salt and pepper. I added in basil and thyme from my garden, but you could use cilantro. Seriously, that’s it. The corn and the tomatoes are so sweet and I just can’t take away from what nature does best.
As far as grilling the corn, this corn was so sweet, that I put nothing on it. Sometimes, as a food blogger, I feel the pressure to be clever, creative and find unique ways to make food. This is one of those times where the ingredients are already their own masterpiece. I can’t improve upon the corn and tomatoes; I can only arrange them together to do their own dance.
A few words as to how to bring these ingredients together. Cut your tomatoes right before serving, as your corn is grilling. This is one of those salads that you should serve immediately. You don’t actually need to grill the corn, but it does add a depth of flavor. Basil loves tomatoes, but thyme loves this combination. Use both. You do not need a lot of salt. Usually, I’m heavy on the salt, but I went much lighter for this salad.
Some Cool Options for Grilled Corn and Tomato Salad
- Add bacon. No explaining why.
- Add sliced peaches. I did this earlier in the summer.
- Switch out basil for cilantro.
- Add feta cheese or queso blanco.
- Add pasta for pasta salad.
- Add boiled potatoes, peeled and cubed. Serve at room temperature.
- Add black beans or black eyed peas
- Add hard boiled egg for protein and make a lunch.
- Add mixed greens.
My tomatoes were not ripe until August this year and everyday, I’m out in the garden picking them. So far this summer, I’ve made fresh tomato sauce, fresh tomato soup, tomato quiche and now this salad. Let me know if you have any great tomato recipes I should try or any ways you make your own grilled corn and tomato salad.
Grilled Corn and Tomato Salad
- 4 ears of corn
- 4 to matoes fresh, ripe
- 1 avocado
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped basil
- 4-6 sprigs of fresh thyme
- salt and pepper to season
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- juice from 1/2 lime
- There are two ways to make the corn. You can grill, or you can microwave (instructions below).
- Remove the hairs from the corn, keeping the corn in the husk.
- Grill for ten minutes at medium high.
- Cut the tomatoes into a large dice.
- Toss corn and tomatoes with olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut avocado into small dice. Arrange on top. Squeeze lime on avocado.
- Salt avocado.
- Garnish with basil and lime.
- Toss again, right before serving.
Microwave Corn on the Cob
- Do not shuck. Wrap entire corn on the cob. Wrap in wet paper towel and microwave for three minutes.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo