This is one of those dishes that you will fight for the last bite. Most of have fond memories of deep fried eggrolls. I used to love the eggrolls, and to this day haven’t found a single restaurant that beats the eggrolls I used to enjoy as a child.
Skipping to present day, now I skip the outside and sometimes still order eggrolls and just eat the insides. That’s why this healthy eggroll in a bowl is so perfect for the low carb or grain free diet.
This is a very easy recipe, one you should put into your rotation frequently. It’s also pretty affordable, as ground pork is inexpensive as is a bag of cole slaw. If you’re thinking this is something that you can’t feed your family because it’s not enough, buy a bag of frozen rice (I love what Trader Joe’s sells).
Choose Ground Meat, Shrimp, or Shredded Pork, for Healthy Egg Roll in a Bowl
You can replace the ground pork with left over roast pork. You can also replace the pork with ground turkey or ground beef. I also like this recipe with shrimp. YOU DECIDE what is best for you.
Ingredients for Healthy Eggroll in a Bowl
- Ground Pork, Shrimp, Shredded Pork
- Shredded Cabbage
- Sesame Oil
- Sesame Seeds
- Fresh Ginger
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Pickled red onion (optional)
- Bomba Sauce, Red Chili Flakes, or Sriacha
Pickled Red Onion
I like to dice up some pickled onion just to have another layer of flavor. While I hate raw onions usually, I love pickled onion.
- Slice red onion in half moons. Place in colander over a bowl.
- Pour two cups bowling water over the onions.
- Pour a cup of vinegar into jar. (apple cider is a good choice).
- Add Peppercorns, teaspoon sugar.
- Add in onions.
- Ready in 30 minutes.
More Recipes You Might Like
- Chicken Asparagus Stir Fry
- Thai Peanut Salad Dressing
- Thai Peanut Bowl
- Honey Sesame Chicken Tenders
- Crack Slaw with Come Back Sauce
This recipe is low carb, paleo and keto friendly. It’s also gluten free.
Healthy Egg Roll in a Bowl
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil more if needed once the slaw is added
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon onion poder
- 6 scallions cut Into one Inch pieces
- 1 pound ground pork OR 1 pound shrimp
- 1 bag cole slaw mix or 1 whole cabbage shredded
- 3 tablespoon tamari sauce or coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 knob fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon hot chili oil or your choice of hot sauce
- optional pickled red onion recipe in blog post
- Saute the garlic in the oil just to soften.
- Add scallion (spring onions). Saute for a two minutes.
- Add ground pork or meat of your choice hat has been seasoned with salt and pepper
- After meat is browned, add in the cole slaw mix.
- Mix thoroughly. It will seem like a lot of cabbage, but it will cook down.
- Add in Tamari sauce, Coconut Aminos.
- Add in sesame oil, ginger, your choice hot sauce.
- Season to taste. You may need to add more sesame oil, more ginger.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo