Are you ready for the enticing aroma of baking apples and filling your kitchen with glorious memories of apple pie? Me too.
This low carb apple almond tart might be the best thing that happens to you this Fall. I’ve already made this twice this week and had to cut it up into pieces and freeze it, or I might eat all of it. I did discover from this that it comes out of the freezer and heats up beautifully.
You cannot believe how good this is. I would go so far as to say as soon as you make this caramelized apple almond tart you will make it again, and it absolutely should go on your holiday table.
I took inspiration from the Chez Panisse Almond Tart I made here. I switched out the shortbread for a almond flour tart crust and the sugar with Swerve. The great news is that Swerve now makes a brown sugar that is amazing. I caramelized some apples with the almonds before adding it to the heavy cream and baking.
There are a lot of options when making this Grain Free Apple Almond Tart.
- You can switch out the apples for pears (or peaches in summer).
- You can leave out the fruit as the original version did.
- You can leave out fruit and add in unsweetened coconut. (I’m working on a version of that.)
- You can add in different flavors. I used maple extract, but other ideas include an almond extract and depending on fruit used, an orange extract.
- Use a rectangular bottomless tart pan (amazon) to cut into bars or make into a round tart or 6 mini tarts.
The Baking Process for Grain Free Apple Almond Tart
The first thing you need to do is par-bake the tart crust. Keep in mind that almond flour can burn easily so par-bake at 350 Degrees (see baking conversion chart). I only bake for about six minutes before filling with apples, almonds and heavy cream. I make sure to put foil around the edges.
I like to use this rectangular tart pan because it’s easier to cut into squares. This tart is rich and small squares are all you need. I cut it into 16 squares.
Ingredients for Grain Free Apple Almond Tart
Before I add the almonds and apples to the tart, I caramelize them on top of the stove using Swerve’s brown sugar. (amazon) It’s a new product and works just like brown sugar.
Heavy Whipping cream brings it together, and is first heated on top of the stove with granulated Swerve and maple extract.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 21 g||32 %|
|Saturated Fat 6 g||31 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 4 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 39 mg||13 %|
|Sodium 64 mg||3 %|
|Potassium 94 mg||3 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 7 g||2 %|
|Dietary Fiber 3 g||11 %|
|Sugars 2 g|
My other most popular keto bar recipe are these low carb grain free maple pecan cheesecake bars.
Grain Caramelized Apple Almond Tart Bars (Low Carb)
- Make Crust First, combining all ingredients. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Now is time to get all other ingredients out and measured.
- Remove almond flour pie dough and roll between two pieces of parchment paper or plastic wrap. Place in tart pan. There will be enough dough left over to make one small tester.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 6 minutes, just enough to set the dough.
- Peel and cut one to two apples to get about 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced.
- Place one tablespoon butter, brown sugar and cinnamon in small frying pan and sauté apples for a minute. Add almonds. Continue stirring frequently until almonds are golden brown.
- Heat the heavy cream with swerve and maple extract until it boils. Take off heat.
- Add apples and almonds to tart. Pour heavy cream into tart.
- Cover the Crust with foil as almond flour browns very easily.
- Place a sheet pan on the rack beneath the tart, covered in foil in case of run over.
- Turn oven up to 400 degrees and bake for 25 minutes.
- When you take the tart out of the oven, run a butter knife gently around the edges as the caramelization can cause sticking.
- Cool completely before removing.
- Cut into 16 squares.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo