The Loveless Cafe calls it Steeplechase Pie, named after a three-mile race held in Nashville a week after the Kentucky Derby. They made the pie their own by adding chocolate to the pecans and I’m making it my own by turning it into a tart instead of a pie. and going with bittersweet chocolate instead of semi-sweet. You might even consider using this shortbread crust I used in a legendary almond tart. You can even choose to leave the pecans whole which I did the first time I made it. I love the flexibility and anyway you make it, you will love it.
This is a busy cooking time as Thanksgiving is right around the corner, so I’m getting right to it.
Chocolate Pecan Tart or Steeplechase Pie
- 1 single pie crust partially baked for 20 minutes
- 1 1/4 cups pecan pieces
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 2 tablespoons Tennessee Whiskey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- Mix chocolate chips and pecan pieces in bowl together
- Mix sugar, butter together. Add whiskey, vanilla. Mix. Add eggs one at a time.
- Add corn syrup.
- Line tart shell with chocolate and pecans. Pour mixture into pan.
- Bake at 350 for 45 to 55 minutes. Pie will bubble. Cool completely before serving.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo