I make a lot of desserts. Whiskey Buttermilk Pie with Mixed Berry Compote has to be special for me to pick this for a very special supper club dinner.
It sounds sophisticated, but it’s comfort food and will take you back to childhood. I chose buttermilk pie when I was asked to guest chef at a the Relish Epicurea Supper Cub because it’s memorable and it’s regional. When I was asked to select a menu, I worked backwards because I believe the last bite you leave people with is what they will remember. I also chose this dessert, because I wanted to show off my pie crust and give a tribute to the South.
When I brought my little tart to the planning meeting, I was nervous. Would the chef think it was as good as I thought it was? He took a bite and closed his eyes. I was watching his face for cues because he’s a real chef and I’m a home cook with no culinary training. He smiled and he said it brought him back to childhood and more than met his expectations. This made me happy. I brought a little side of blackberry compote because berry compote is something we love in the South and it compliments the silky smooth texture and buttermilk creaminess of the custard and flaky pie crust.
I never heard of buttermilk pie growing up, but anything buttermilk gets my attention. Last year I made a vanilla buttermilk tart with pears here, but this had to be special and more appropriate for Spring. Making the pie into individual tarts and adding bourbon and blackberry compote did exactly what I wanted. We also added a dollop of bourbon whipped cream to the plate. Just whip some fresh heavy cream with a little sugar and bourbon and it’s heaven.
This recipe can be made into small tarts, large tarts or a pie.
Gluten Free Option: When I have a little left over I make a few jars to cool and store in freezer.
Tell me, have you ever eaten buttermilk pie? What pie is most memorable for you from childhood?
See a Video how to make perfect pie crust here.
Whiskey Buttermilk Pie with Blackberry Compote
- 1 unbaked pie crust
- 1 stick butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/ 4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 generous teaspoon real vanilla extract
- Pinch of fine-grain sea salt
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- Pinch of orange zest
Blackberry Compote Ingredients
- 4 cups of fresh or frozen blackberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- dash lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon instant tapioca for thickening
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter. Set aside.
- Beat eggs, sugar and flour until smooth. I place in either my Vitamix or blender. Add buttermilk, vanilla, bourbon, orange zest, melted butter and mix thoroughly.
- Pour into an unbaked pie shell until the edges puff up and are firm about 30-40 minutes, 20 minutes for a tart.
Blackberry Compote Instructions
- Place blackberries in large saucepan with enough water to be two inches.
- Simmer on low stirring from time to time until sugar has melted and liquid has evaporated, about 30-40 minutes.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo