Penne Pasta with Brussels Sprouts, Lemon, Capers, Breadcrumbs
Pasta with brussels sprouts! Not typical. Not seen on any menu with my eyes. Not served during my childhood. But, after putting these together, I wonder why no one has thought of this before.
The delivering punch of flavor can come in two ways. Anchovies or pecorino cheese. You can skip the anchovies (but the added flavor is spectacular).
I got the idea for cooking the brussels sprouts in an anchovy sauce when I made this seared tuna with pasta dish. This time I used lemon instead of olives.
I know what you might be thinking. Anchovies. Brussels Sprouts! Not on the top ten favorite list of foods to eat. I used to think that too. Let this dish change your mind. There is the salty, the heat, the crunch, and just the satisfaction of it all together.
Note: You can make the brussels sprouts as a side dish without the pasta. You can play around with ingredients. I used homemade croutons, but gave you the recipe with toasted panko breadcrumbs. Either option works. You can use a lot less pasta (make it wholewheat or gluten free) and cut the carbs and add in more brussels sprouts. Just because it’s pasta doesn’t mean it’s a bad food.
I am in the final five for the All-clad recipe contest with the dish, Hazelnut Encrusted Tuna over Pasta with Anchovy Sauce. I would so appreciate your vote.
Penne Pasta with Brussels Sprouts
- 1/2 pound penne pasta
- 10 brussells sprouts more if you like more
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 small anchovies rinsed, drained
- 1 large garlic clove crushed minced
- squeeze of half a lemon save zest for garnish
- 1 teaspoon capers
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- sea salt black pepper
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs toasted
- 1 tablespoons pecorino romano cheese can use fresh parmesan
- zest of half lemon
- Cook pasta according to the directions. Make sure to boil in a heavily salted pot of water. Drain.
- Trim ends of brussels sprouts. Pull of a lot of big leaves and reserve.
- Slice the remaining part of each sprout.
- In a small saute pan, melt the anchovies in olive oil. Add garlic and cook for a minute or two until golden, not brown. Add in capers, crushed pepper and lemon.
- Saute brussels sprouts including leaves for 5-6 minutes (could be less time) until they are wilted and a bit golden.
- Toss with pasta, season with salt and pepper to taste. Add in breadcrumbs and pecorino cheese, toss again. Garnish with lemon zest. Serve immediately.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo