Sometimes good things lead to better things and that’s exactly what happened when these eggs made their way into yet another new dish. It was only last week that I discovered sunny side up eggs could be oven fried. From that great discovery, I made a few more.
- Sweet potatoes always go well with Brussels sprouts, in the same way they go well with kale.
- Eggs made in the oven take on a creamy texture and are just amazing.
- There is no need to ever splatter grease all the over the stove, when everything can be oven baked.
- Great meals can be made in 20 minutes.
- Eggs are good for dinner.
I was home sick today and all I could find was a handful of Brussels sprouts and a small sweet potato. I sliced the Brussels sprouts and diced the sweet potatoes, tossed them with a bit of olive oil and put them in the oven for about 15 minutes. Last week I made the discovery that sunny side up eggs can be oven fried, and in the last five minutes of cooking, I added the eggs.
I’ve put eggs with Brussels sprouts before when I made this potato cake with Brussels sprouts and a ruffled egg, so I am one to venture out with my sprouts and find a place for them besides a side dish.
This was delicious and to make it even better, add in bacon or pancetta for extra flavor. To serve a crowd, increase the ingredients and add in more eggs. The flavor combination and the colors make baked eggs with sweet potato and Brussels sprout hash the perfect breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- 10 Brussels sprouts, sliced
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled, cubed
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- few sprigs of fresh thyme
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Toss together sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, and shallots with olive oil and place in cast iron frying pan or small shallow baking dish.
- Cook for 10 minutes, tossing once half way through.
- Add eggs over the hash, and bake for 5 to 7 minutes or until the eggs are done on top. Put the pan in the top third of the oven, so the heat will cook the top of the eggs.
- Serve immediately.
More Spinach Tiger Brussels Sprouts Recipes