Sometimes good things lead to better things and that’s exactly what happened when these eggs made their way into yet another new dish. It was only last week that I discovered sunny side up eggs could be oven fried. From that great discovery, I made a few more.
- Sweet potatoes always go well with Brussels sprouts, in the same way they go well with kale.
- Eggs made in the oven take on a creamy texture and are just amazing.
- There is no need to ever splatter grease all the over the stove, when everything can be oven baked.
- Great meals can be made in 20 minutes.
- Eggs are good for dinner.
I was home sick today and all I could find was a handful of Brussels sprouts and a small sweet potato. I sliced the Brussels sprouts and diced the sweet potatoes, tossed them with a bit of olive oil and put them in the oven for about 15 minutes. Last week I made the discovery that sunny side up eggs can be oven fried, and in the last five minutes of cooking, I added the eggs.
I’ve put eggs with Brussels sprouts before when I made this potato cake with Brussels sprouts and a ruffled egg, so I am one to venture out with my sprouts and find a place for them besides a side dish.
This was delicious and to make it even better, add in bacon or pancetta for extra flavor. To serve a crowd, increase the ingredients and add in more eggs. The flavor combination and the colors make baked eggs with sweet potato and Brussels sprout hash the perfect breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Autumn Brunch: Baked Eggs with Sweet Potato and Brussels Sprouts Hash
- 10 Brussels sprouts wash, rinsed, sliced
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled, cubed (see notes)
- 1 shallot diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- few sprigs of fresh thyme
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 400 degree, F.
- Toss together sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, and shallots with olive oil and place in cast iron frying pan or small shallow baking dish.
- Cook for 10 minutes, tossing once half way through.
- Add eggs over the hash, and bake in oven for 5 to 7 minutes or until the eggs are done on top. Put the pan in the top third of the oven, so the heat will cook the top of the eggs.
- Serve immediately.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo