Is it okay if I use cauliflower rice to make my keto cajun shrimp and grits for my keto people? I absolutely love shrimp and grits and usually order it if it’s on the menu. When making at home and eating low-carb, I thought cauliflower rice just might be a good substitute for Keto Cajun Shrimp and Cheesy Cauliflower Grits.
I used wild raw Argentinian red shrimp from Trader Joe’s. They are cleaned, deveined and flavorful and but down on time. This is not an ad for Trader Joe’s but I usually have a few bags in the freezer, and these are perfect for a keto version of shrimp and grits.
All the flavor of authentic shrimp and grits will be there using cajun spices, heavy cream, butter and hot sauce.
To thicken the sauce, I use this xanthan gum gel that is easy to make and works perfectly. If you don’t happen to have xanthan gum, don’t worry, as it will taste good even if sauce is a little thinner.
The shrimp will take only a few minutes to make and in total this delicious dinner should be able to be made in under 30 minutes.
I have been making keto/low carb dinners for years, and I can honestly tell you, I like this food way better than how I used to eat. I think once you start eating less carbs, you just feel better, and enjoy food more, because you don’t have to balance heavy meals with starvation meals. I know you will love this dish as much as did, for not one bite was left in the pan.
Make sure you check out my article on laying out the differences between paleo, keto and gluten free diets.
Ingredients for Keto Cajun Shrimp and Cheesy Cauliflower Grits
- Heavy Cream
- Hot Sauce
- Cajun Spice (I use Tony Chacheres)
- Green Onion
Cauliflower (faux) Grits
- Cauliflower Rice
- Cream Cheese
- White Cheddar
More Low Carb Keto Friendly Shrimp Recipes from Spinach Tiger
Keto Cajun Shrimp with Cheesy Cauliflower Grits
- 1/3 pound bacon
- 1 pound shrimp
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon cajun spice I use Tony Chacheres
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- sea salt
- black pepper
- 4 green onions
- parsley, chopped for garnish
Cheesy Cauliflower Grits
- 6 cups cauliflower rice
- 1/2 cup white cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup chicken broth.
- Cut the bacon in lardons about 1/2 inch cross wise. Fry in heavy frying pan
- Once crispy, drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle cajun seasonings over the shrimp.
- Fry shrimp about 2 minutes in bacon grease. Remove to separate dish.
- Saute chopped onion until softened. Add in chopped garlic.
- Add in broth and white wine. Simmer for five minutes. Add heavy cream and hot sauce.
- Add bacon and shrimp back in.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with parsley and sliced green onion.
- Serve over cauliflower rice grits (see below) with sauce.
- Place cauliflower rice into pot. Add cream cheese, white cheddar, salt, pepper, and broth as needed.
- Stir well and cook on low heat.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo