I have an on going love affair with burgers and you probably do too, but I’m not talking fast food burgers. I’m talking about the kind of burger that is thick, juicy, high quality and so good, you don’t even need a bun, but feel free.
I piled this burger up with a spicy mayo and a runny fried egg on top of crispy iceberg lettuce and enjoyed every juicy, messy bite.
to Cook a Great Burger
- Use ground chuck or a combination of ground beef with enough fat in it. Lean meat is dry and if you’re splurging, splurge.
- Bring the meat to room temperature. Thirty minutes will take the chill off, and help the burgers cook more evenly.
- Press an indentation in the center of your burger. Burgers tend to dome and this prevents that.
- Cook at a medium heat and do not turn over for at least four minutes. Cook to desired doneness, 12 minutes will produce an 8 ounce medium burger. (see imp. note below).
- Put your cheese on during the last minute and close the lid of the grill.
- Burgers (and all meat) needs to rest for at least five minutes, and it will continue to cook.
- If making medium rare burgers, put on a paper towel before putting on the bun.
Burger Internal Temperature
The USDA recommends no lower than in internal temperature of 160 degrees for ground meat, so use your own judgement and take your meat source into consideration.
- Rare 120 to 125 degrees
- Medium Rare 130 to 135
- Medium 140 to 145
- Medium Well 150 to 155
- Well Done 160 to 165
How to Make Burgers on the Grill
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- salt and pepper
- 2 eggs optional
- Sprinkle Worcestershire sauce onto meat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Gently make 2 8-ounce burgers.
- Using your thumb, press an indentation in center. This prevents a dome.
- Bring to room temperature (65 degrees approximately) so burgers will cook evenly.
- Heat Grill to medium heat.
- Place burgers on grill and turn at 4-5 minutes.
- Continue cooking for total of 10-15 minutes, depending on the internal temperature you desire. See chart above in the post.
- Either pan fry to desired doneness or try this easy oven baked fried egg recipe.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo
More Burger Recipes from Spinach Tiger