Before you think this is a boring dish, let me ask you to give it a chance. You might be as surprised as me and just about eat the whole thing like I did.
How did I come to make what seems like a not appetizing sounding dish?
I had a cabbage craving. Yes, every now and again I get these wild craving for cabbage. I had good ground beef in the fridge and ground beef cabbage stir fry was born,
What could this mean? It could mean I was craving the nutritional benefits of cabbage.
Nutritional Benefits of Cabbage
- 30 Different flavanoids
- Lowers oxidized LDL
- Eases inflammation
- Good for digestion, excess stomach acid
- Contains sulforaphane, which helps the body fight toxis.
- Contains glutathione, an antioxidant that improves detoxing liver.
The funny thing about me loving cabbage is that I actually hated cabbage as a child. I refused to eat any soup that had cabbage in it and often got in trouble for that. To this I say, don’t force kids to eat adult-friendly foods. Often they will eventually come around. I came around to cabbage, lamb and liver.
How to Sauté Cabbage
Cabbage is one of the friendliest foods to cook as long as you don’t over-cook it. That’s especially true about cabbage and might be why I didn’t like it as a kid. However, cutting cabbage up in bite sized pieces and sautéing in olive oil or butter is easy, and when salt is added, it’s so delicious.
Ingredients for Cabbage and Ground Beef
- Onion or Onion Powder
- Herbs (optional
- Ground Beef or Ground Pork
- Bomba Sauce (or your choice of hot choice) Option
- Salt – Very important to wake up the cabbage.
More Cabbage Recipes from Spinach Tiger
- Crack Slaw with Comeback Sauce
- Healthy Eggroll in a Bowl (Low Carb)
- Asian Slaw Recipe
- Ribollita, A Tuscan Cabbage Soup
- Beef and Cabbage Soup
- Sautéed Cabbage with Bacon, Onion and Dill
Please let me know if you try this recipe. I would love to hear from you. File it under EASY DINNERS and give it a try. Serve as is or with mashed potatoes for your family.
Ground Beef Cabbage Stirfry
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 pound ground beef or ground pork
- 1 cabbage head
- 2 tablespoons Bomba Sauce Optional see notes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat oil in large frying pan.
- Sauté diced onion to soften for a few minutes. Skip if using onion powder. If using onion powder, sprinkle a teaspoon over the meat.
- Add garlic and sauté just to golden.
- Add Ground Beef or Ground Pork and cook through.
- Take outer leaves off cabbage. Rinse any dirty off of cabbage,
- Cut cabbage into large bite sized pieces.
- Add cabbage to the ground beef. Add more olive oil if needed.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add bomba sauce, which is spicy or any type of hot sauce such as syracha if you want to add heat, This is an option.
- The dish is done when the cabbage is soft.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo