Reverse Sear Grilled Lollipop Lamb Chops are a game changer.
In December I’ll be celebrating twelve years of blogging, and yet I am still excited about cooking. I’m like trying new things and new techniques and discovering new recipes.I am always amazed that I remain challenged by simple recipes because even a great recipe can be tweaked and improved upon. This keeps me excited and also well fed.
Grilled lollipop lamb chops using the reverse sear method opened up a whole new way for me to approach meat. It was spectacular.
What is a lollipop lamb chop?
There are three types of lamb chops. The lollipop chop cut off of what we know as the rack of lamb has the long thin bone, is the most tender, and most expensive chop. You want to cook this right! You can find an affordable rack of lamb at Costco.
The average price is around $18 and will feed two or make four lollipop lamb chops with double bones. I know that’s expensive, but this same dish out in a restaurant will cost an average of $30 per person, and I promise you, if you follow this recipe, it will rival any fine dining.
What is a reverse sear?
A reverse sear means you cook the meat first up to a certain internal temperature low and slow or on indirect heat, and sear the outside on high heat at the end. I had no idea it would make such a difference, but it does. The chops were tender and juicy, and perfectly seared. I’ll never go back to my old way of doing things.
How do you prepare the lollipop lamb chops for the grill?
The first thing you need to do before you cut the chops on the rack is trim all the fat and remove the silver skin, that very thin transparent sheath. Then salt the lamb and if you choose, marinate.
Should I marinate my lollipop lamb chops?
- If you have the time to marinate, use some chopped garlic and olive oil, perhaps some herbs like rosemary and thyme.
- Salt your chops first to increase their flavor.
- Marinate up to three hours. I’ve made successful chops marinating for only twenty minutes using this method.
- Cook to medium rare to medium. Anything past medium and the lamb tastes gamey.
What is mint pistou?
Mint pistou is made with only garlic, mint, parsley, and olive oil. Pistou is different from pesto which contains nuts, as I did here with a pistachio mint pesto. Either of these would be great with this lollipop lamb chops but I prefer the pistou for simplicity.
Recipe for Mint Pistachio Pesto here. Notice the nuts. Leave those out and you have pistou.
How do you reverse sear grilled lollypop lamb chops?
- Once you are ready to grill, heat only one half of the side of the grill.
- You will be placing your chops on medium indirect heat, the side with no fire. Leave your lamb chops there until the internal temperature reaches 115 Degrees F.
- Turn that other side of the grill up to high and move the chops over to the direct heat.
- Grill about one minute per side.
What temperature should we eat lamb at?
We want a pink inside with a well done, seared outside, either medium rare or medium.
- Lamb is done medium rare when the internal temperature reaches 135 degrees F. and is my preference.
- Lamb is medium when the internal temperature reaches 140 degrees F.
Allow to rest for ten minutes. Top with Mint pistou.
This is a delicious, easy recipe, one I know you will make over and over, once you get the love for the reverse sear as I have.
You may also love this post: Seven Scrumptious Lamb Recipes You Need to Make Now
What sides go well with lamb chops?
Grilled Lollipop Recipes, Reverse Sear, Mint Pistou
Lollipop Lamb Chops
- 1 rack of lamb about 8 bones
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons rosemary chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- handful fresh mint
- handful fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 lemon juice and zest
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Prepare Lamb Chops
- Trim the fat off of the lamb. Lamb rack is covered in thick fat and silver skin. It will take about 15 minutes to carefully trim. I leave the meat around the bones on.
- Cut rack into 4 lollypop chops (two bones each).
- If you decide to marinate, mix marinade ingredients together and set lamb in dish with marinade. I only marinated for twenty minutes and chops were very tender. Marinate up to three hours.
Reverse Sear Grill Lamb Chops
- Take lamb chops out of refrigerator 30 minutes in advance to take the chill off of them.
- Light one half of gas grill on medium heat. Place lamb on indirect heat until the internal temperature is 115 F. degrees.
- Turn the other side of grill up to high. It's time to sear. Place chops on the hot side of grill for one to two minutes per side until the internal temperature is at 135 degrees for Medium Rare. Or if you prefer, 145 degrees for medium.
- Allow to rest for at least five minutes before eating.
- Mix all ingredients except salt and pepper in blender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with lamb.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo