This Fresh Roasted Pumpkin Soup was Inspired by a Local Mexican Restaurant
Sometimes the bite of one dish awakens my spirit and challenges me. When a chef makes such a dish, I know I’m going to make it in my own kitchen.
This is more of an orchestra rather than a solo. In one bite you get creamy, spicy in heat and spicy in pumpkin flavor, crunchy, warm, cool, savory and sweet. All in one bite! The garnish made the soup complete, and is a big part of what makes this soup so balanced.
I was once invited to a press dinner at a local restaurant. The four course dinner was good, but the pumpkin soup was great, probably the best pumpkin soup I’ve ever eaten. I asked for the ingredients and the Chef graciously obliged. Did you know that if you ask for recipes, many times the chef will be generous and share?
I played around making this my very own and I decided to make two versions, one with heavy cream and one with light unsweetened coconut milk.
The coconut flavor was a little more forward than I wanted, but it was still good enough that there’s not a drop left. I preferred the version with the cream, but if you’re looking to lighten up some of your Autumn inspired food, the coconut milk works.
Fresh Roasted Pumpkin Soup, Paleo Friendly
In place of the cream, you can substitute the coconut milk, or you might be a purist and just use a vegetable or chicken broth. I made my own pumpkin puree from a sugar pumpkin, but you could use the canned pumpkin.
Either way you make pumpkin soup enjoy it. Soon pumpkin season will be over, but for now I can’t seem to get enough.
How about you? Are you pumpkin obsessing and do you like fresh roasted pumpkin soup?
Fresh Roasted Pumpkin Soup, Paleo Friendly and Recipe for Pumpkin Puree
- 1 three pound sugar pumpkin also called pumpkin pie pumpkin
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 tablespoon chipotle peppers in adobe sauce for heat, use more if you want Save some of the sauce for garnish.
- 1 cup chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy cream or unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 small apple peeled diced
- 2 tablespoons cranberry sauce with whole berries or another fruit preserve (see note)!!!
- Toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1 teaspoon olive oil or melted butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- dash cayenne pepper
- Cut pumpkin top off. Cut in half. Roast at 350 face side down until softened, 30-40 minutes.
- Cool, Scoop out the seeds. Set aside to roast.
- Scoop out pumpkin and make puree by placing in Vitamix. You may need to add a little water.
- Saute celery onion and carrot in butter until softened low heat.
- Add veggies to Vitamix with pumpkin puree and 1 cup chicken broth (or vegetable broth)to make sure all veggies are fully pureed. Add chipotle peppers. Add in
- Add in heavy cream or coconut milk. Stir until fully incorporated.
- Reheat in sauce pan on low.
- Mix cranberry sauce with some of the spiced adobe sauce (I used Southern Flavor Chipotle Cranberry Sauce)
- Add garnish to each bowl of soup. Swirl in adobe sauce and add apple cranberry garnish.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo