Easy Pickled Red Onion Recipe
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Easy pickled red onion recipe comes in very handy to boost salads, sandwiches and tacos.
I first started pickling red onion when I made this Cowboy Caviar which is basically beans, red onion and cilantro and perfect to serve at a party or with Mexican food.
Truth be told, I strongly dislike raw red onion in general, but seriously love them when pickled. The onion takes on a completely different flavor profile and does much to boost certain recipes. It was key in my Asian slaw and would be perfect in anything made with red cabbage.
How to Pickled Red Onion
This is a very easy recipe and it only takes 30 minutes.
- Slice red onion in half moons. Place in colander.
- Pour two cups of boiling water over the onions.
- Pour a cup of vinegar into jar. I used half cider vinegar, half balsamic.
- Add peppercorns, seasonings and a teaspoon of sugar.
- Add onion.
- Ready in 30 minutes.
How to Store Pickled Red Onion
Store pickled red onion in jar, once completely cool. Keep in fridge up to 3 weeks.
How to Use Pickled Red Onion
Pickled red onion can turn a bland dish special. Use in salads, slaws, on burgers, and in tacos to start.
These two salads wouldn’t be the same without red pickled onion.
How to Pickle Red Onion
Pickled Red Onion
- 1/2 red onion sliced into half moons
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar optional
- 1 tablespoon peppercorns or some black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic cut in half
- Slice into thin half moons and place in colander.
- Pour boiling water over onion.
- Put vinegar in jar with sugar, garlic and peppercorns.
- Put onion in jar. Will be ready in 30 minutes.
- Cool completely before refrigerating.
- Store up to 3 weeks in fridge.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo