Italian Slow Cooked Pork Chops in Tomato Sauce with Green Beans is a big fat healthy dish.
Italian Slow Cooked Pork Chops in Tomato Sauce is the dish that keeps on giving. I used thick chops on the bone, braised for three hours in my authentic delicious sweet tomato sauce and we had at least three meals.
My grandmother and my mother always put a pork chop in their tomato sauce to boost flavor. Rarely did we have a meal simply of braised pork chops unless they were adding in a lot of vegetables such as green beans and potatoes,
If you follow me on instagram, you’ll know that last week I was testing out all the various tomatoes Cento makes. I came out with one top winner and a few varieties that were almost as good.
I tested seven types, from San Marzano, Crushed Tomatoes, Organic Tomatoes, and Tomato Puree. The blog post is coming that will explain which tomatoes won the blind taste test and which tomatoes you should never buy.
There are different tomatoes for different dishes. This is a very tomato forward dish and I think it pays to buy the best tomatoes which are the Cento San Marzano Certified. The other tomatoes I like which are less money are the Cento Italian Peeled Tomatoes.
Using the top four sauces I made these slow cooked pork chops, but my recipe will reflect Italian tomatoes, preferably the San Marzano.
How do I choose Pork Chops for Braising?
Today’s pork chops are usually way too lean and they need brining and or braising unless you go to a Humane and Smart Pig farm that doesn’t lean out the pigs. I bought my chops at Whole Foods, making sure they were thick and had the tenderloin part of the chop attached.
I didn’t brine because I was going to slow cook them, but I did brown them first.
Do I brown pork chops before slow cooking?
Yes. I always brown meat before braising or slow cooking?
Disclosure: Spinach Tiger is an Amazon Affiliate, which earns a small commission, but does not affect price.
Can I cook pork chops in my dutch oven?
Yes, I actually cooked in this dutch oven for three hours, but you can make this dish in a slow cooker for 6-8 hours on low.
What do I serve with slow cooked pork chops in tomato sauce?
You can serve as is, with added potatoes, or over pasta. This is a very filling dish.
Can I used a Tomato sauce in a Jar?
Jarred sauces aren’t meant to be heated for four to six hours. I promise I’ll give you the EASIEST tomato sauce recipe that will taste as it should.
Can I eat this slow cooked pork chops left over?
You can keep this dish in the refrigerator for at least three days. It actually taste better left over.
Can I freeze this dish?
This is a great dish on many levels. Once cooked, you can break up the pork chops into smaller pieces. Two large pork chops can make up to six servings.
Pin this Dish ↓
More Pork Chops from Spinach Tiger
I would love to see you on instagram where you can be the first to see my new recipes as they are developing. If you make any of my recipes, please post over there with the hashtag #spinachtiger, so I can say thanks.
Italian Slow Cooked Pork Chops in Tomato Sauce with Green Beans
- 1 medium onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 thick bone-in pork chops
- 2 cans Italian tomatoes see notes ORDER HERE
- 1 carrot optiona
- 1/2 cup white wine optional
- 2 to 4 cups green beans
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper or pepper flakes to taste
- sea salt
- black pepper
- Heat oil in either a dutch oven or pot
- Cut onion into quarters. Peel garlic cloves.
- Add onion and garlic in oil.
- Season pork chops with salt and pepper.
- Brown pork chops on each side.
- Pour peeled tomatoes into bowl. Squeeze with hand to crush.
- If using slow cooker, add tomatoes to crock pot. Add Chops. Cook on low 6 to 8 hours.
- If using dutch oven, cook everything in dutch oven, add tomatoes, white wine.
- Add 1 teaspoon sea salt and a few grinds of black pepper.
- If the sauce looks too thick add a half cup water.
- Cook on very low for three hours either at 300 degrees in oven or on lowest possible burner on top of stove, stirring occasionally.
- If you want to add in green beans, trim and cook with the sauce.
- Discard the onion, garlic and carrot before serving.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo