Hey America, here are some red, white and blue biscuits to celebrate your 237th birthday on July 4th.
They are fluffy, light and a slight variation on my most favorite buttermilk Southern biscuit. I added in a touch more flour and a full cup of berries, and extra sugar. They have a bit of crunch on the outside, yet are soft and light on the inside.
I’m not the only one who likes the patriotic twist of red white and blue. A few years ago Recipe Girl posted 100 red white and blue dishes, and 5 red white and blue drinks here. If that’s not enough, there is a red white and blue Pinterest Board.
You can use frozen berries or fresh berries. Keep in mind that these are not berry muffins and are not intended to be. I make my biscuits in a wooden bowl and I pat them down and cut from the same bowl. I always cut right from the middle and then cut each biscuit around that center. I can get 12 medium sized biscuits from this recipe.
I will brush with milk and sprinkle a little sugar on them before placing them in the oven, which is why you see the crunchy golden topping.
I understand that Americans eat 150 million hot dogs on July 4th. What will you be eating? Biscuits maybe?
Red White & Blue Fluffy Biscuits
- 2 1/4 cups White Lily flour or soft wheat not self-rising
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons butter very cold
- 1 cup berries if frozen, thawed
- 3/4 cups buttermilk
- pinch of baking soda
- milk for brushing on top
- sugar for sprinkling on top
- sugar to sprinkle on biscuits
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Mix 2 cups flour, baking powder, salt, sugar together.
- Add in very cold butter into the flour mixture. Either cut in or use hands.
- Add in berries. Mix gently.
- Add baking soda to buttermilk.
- Add buttermilk to mixture. Mix with wooden spoon, adding in a little more flour (no more than 1/4 cup) r as needed so the mixture isn't too wet. It will be wet to a degree, but must be dry enough to cut into ten medium sized biscuits. Place biscuits in cast iron pan or baking sheet with sides touching.
- Brush biscuits with a little milk and sprinkle with sugar.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo