Crab Louie Salad with Remoulade
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
We’re going old school today with crab louie salad topped with my delicious remoulade sauce you will find in the previous post.
What is Crab Louie?
Crab Louie referred to as the king of salads is made with crab, covered with a creamy dressing and often accompanied by asparagus and hard boiled eggs.
It was created on the West Coast, made with dungeness crab, and a dressing of mayo/ketchup mix. Recipes have been found in cookbooks as early as 1910.
I grew up eating Crab Louie made with blue crab as I lived on the east coast. It was often served with thousand island dressing or a remoulade. I prefer the remoulade for its complex flavors and think the dressing is just as important as the quality of the crab.
Blue crab is expensive, but rich and goes a long way. The crab meat is sweet and tender and not like any other crab. I would not use an imitation crab meat for this salad. If you can’t get crab, use shrimp for a shrimp louie salad.
What dressing should you use for Crab Louie?
I personally think my recipe for cajun remoulade is the perfect dressing for this, but you could also use thousand island or green goddess.
Crab Louie salad often includes steamed, cold asparagus, hard boiled eggs, avocado slices, and cherry tomatoes. I made my own remoulade because it adds exciting flavor to the crab and the hard boiled eggs.
What are ingredients for Crab Louie?
- Blue Crab (can use crab of choice or replace with shrimp)
- Avocado (How to Peel avocado)
- Hard Boiled Eggs
- Remoulade or a Creamy Thousand Island Dressing
Crab Louie is an elegant, old school salad and a nice surprise for a summer dinner.
Latest Blog Posts from Spinach Tiger
Crab Louie with Remoulade Sauce
- 3 cups Salad Greens Romaine, Butter Lettuce
- 8 ounces blue crab
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6 stalks asparagus
- 1 avocado sliced
- 2 hard boiled eggs peeled, sliced
- 1/2 cup Remoulade Remoulade Here
- Trim asparagus and put in boiling water for 6 to 8 minutes. Place in ice bath to maintain bright green and to chill for salad.
- Arrange lettuce on platter.
- Add crab to middle, accompanied by tomato, hard boiled eggs, avocado, asparagus.
- Serve with Remoulade. You can serve with other creamy dressings such as thousand island or green goddess.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo