Last year I made my bats with sugar cookie dough and while they are amazing, it dawned on me that bats should be made with chocolate. I found this perfect recipe at Baked by Rachel. It’s very easy to assemble and unlike some sugar cookie doughs, it rolls out without sticking. Aside from bats, these are perfect for any time of year, and probably will resurrect at Valentine’s Day. In this case, they make great squirrels and bats. If you’re looking to make ghosts, head over here for my favorite sugar cookie recipe.
Chocolate Sugar Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- Cream butter and sugar. Add salt.
- Add egg and mix thoroughly. Add Vanilla
- Sift flour, baking powder, cocoa together, and add to mixture.
- Refrigerate for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Take out for about 15 minutes so you can easily roll dough.
- Cut out shapes.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- You can use a frosting, a royal icing, a glaze, sprinkles or nothing.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo