Red Beet & Bacon Truffle Honey Goat Cheese Flat Bread the week AFTER I post the 25 best red beet recipes on the internet might sound a little insane, a bit backwards, but it only proves I put my beets where my mouth is. After all, it was Valentine’s Day. I told you the science behind beets as an aphrodisiac. Did you not think I would serve beets on February 14th?
We decided to dine at home on Valentine’s Day and invite another couple over. I had a menu set in my mind all week, which had to be altered slightly because the grocery stores didn’t get all their shipments in (snow storms in 49 out of 50 states). Nashville, however, didn’t get a snowflake. It would have been nice to see a snow covered landscape, but all we got were school closings with no snow. Storms, tornados and hail came at us on Thursday. Today, we’re taking a walk in shorts. Later this week, we’ll see a low of 21. We are a confused weather city. While some cities run to the grocery store because a snow storm is on the way, we run because a rain storm is on the way. Seriously!
Fortunately on Valentine’s Day, the weather was friendly.
I settled on a menu of rack of lamb with Brussels sprouts, buttery fingerling potatoes, and individual flourless chocolate cakes. I needed an appetizer because I couldn’t roast the lamb until company arrived. I wanted something special ready to serve, and I wanted red beets! Stonefire Authentic Flatbreads sent me a shipment earlier in the week which gave me the inspiration to make a beet and bacon flat appetizer.
I get a lot of products sent and I only mention the ones I’m truly in love with. I won’t recommend a product that I’m not positive will bring you a good experience. I can wholeheartedly recommend these products. The difference is in the taste and the texture. Stonefire products have no preservatives and are a very high quality bread. I was able to try the pita, the naan and the wholewheat flatbread. I can’t pick a favorite because all were exceptional. The pita bread has a very good flavor, not dry like many pita breads are.
Because there are no preservatives in the Stonefire products, I immediately froze them.
The wholewheat flat bread baked very nicely, crispy but chewy at the same time, and is the perfect bottom for an appetizer. I roasted beets, bought some local goat cheese and used some coveted truffle honey along with a garnish of bacon. The combination of flavors was compelling, sweet and earthy, especially with that little nuance of truffle honey. The good news about no preservatives is the taste difference, but they must be eaten fairly quickly. I froze everything and was so impressed with how fresh the breads tasted when defrosted. As far the flatbread pizza, I assembled it as frozen, and it baked in about twenty minutes.
Tablescaping: I love tulips and this was wonderful way to celebrate Valentine’s Day and wish for Spring! I used a cream colored burlap underneath a more traditional piece of burlap to make the table rustic, yet festive. Notice the little milk jars serving as vases, and the mason jars holding those gorgeous white tulips (my favorite flower).
Red Beet & Bacon, Goat Cheese on Stonefire Flat Bread with Giveaway
- 1 whole wheat Stonefire flat bread
- 4 to 6 ounces of goat cheese
- 1 to 2 tablespoons honey (saving some for a drizzle
- 2 small roasted red beets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil may not use it all
- 3 slices crumbled bacon smokey bacon is a great option
- 2 small beets or one large beet
- Cut the roasted beets into cubes. Season with salt and pepper, and toss with olive oil. Set aside
- Mix the honey with the goat cheese to the sweetness you prefer.
- Spread over the flat bread.
- Top with the beets. Drizzle a little honey. Add crumbled bacon.
- Bake at 400 degrees until the underneath of flatbread is crispy. 10-20 minutes. I used a frozen flatbread, so it took about twenty minutes.
- Drizzle with honey, prior to serving.
- This makes an appetizer for 4 to 6 people or an entree for 2.
- Peel beets, coat with olive oil. Wrap in foil. Roast at 300 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Cool before cutting.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo