Grilled Chicken Kabob Recipe with Purple Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts are hearty enough for early spring, light enough for late summer.
Grilled Chicken Kabobs is that wonderful dish the whole family can help prepare. Much of this can be prepped the night before. You can cut the chicken into 2 inch pieces, semi-cook the brussels and potatoes.
Once prep is finished, these go on the grill for about 7 to 9 minutes. I use a quality extra virgin olive oil before and after with a big squeeze of lemon. As soon as the grilled chicken kabobs come off the grill, they get a nice drizzle of olive oil, a squeeze of lemon and sprinkling of fresh crumbled feta cheese. This could be the time to add another sprinkling of fresh herbs.
Grilled Chicken Kabob Recipe with Herbs, Lemon and Feta Cheese
This grilled chicken kabob recipe will do well with an herb like thyme, rosemary, herbs de provence or even za’atar. I usually have fresh thyme and rosemary all year on my porch and like to use those whenever possible.
Not all chicken is created equally, and I prefer air-chilled versus water chilled, whenever possible. If you are near a Whole Foods and have Amazon Prime, they often have air-chilled on their special. Sometimes its whole chickens; chicken pieces on the bone or boneless breasts. They usually promote one type at a time, and I will stock up.
There was a time we didn’t like boneless chicken breasts because chicken on the bone is tastier, but when the chicken is quality chicken and not over-cooked, it can make the most delicious and family friendly meal.
How to Make Grilled Chicken Kabobs: Questions You May Have
Which skewers to use to make grilled chicken kabobs recipe?
You can use bamboo skewers, but soak them in water for an hour first to prevent burning. If you don’t have time for that put foil on the edges.
You can use metal skewers which are reusable.
How High Should the Heat Be?
Grill directly on heat that is about 400 degrees F. Grilled Chicken Kabobs are best grilled hot and fast. The veggies in this recipe are par-cooked and you don’t want to over-grill the chicken. You can also bake these in the oven at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
What If I can’t get Brussels Sprouts or Purple Potatoes?
Use whatever vegetable you like. Purple potatoes can be substituted with smaller white potatoes. I like the purple potatoes for these reasons in this post, and because they are just the right size, adding a nice color.
A lot of people put peppers and onions on kabobs. It might surprise you that those aren’t my favorite for kabobs because they don’t tend to cook enough, and I don’t like crunchy peppers. I also avoid putting citrus right next to meat.
What Herbs or Spices Work with the Grilled Kabob Recipe?
I love herbs de provence and za’atar for chicken recipes like these. If you want to use a single , rosemary, thyme, or oregano works well here.
If you’re new here, welcome. Please subscribe to the blog and follow me on instagram.
Take some time to browse through the categories. There are lots of paleo and keto friendly recipes that have been kitchen tested and are easy to make.
More Paleo, Keto Friendly Chicken Recipes from Spinach Tiger
- 1 pound of boneless chicken
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Olive oil
- Brussels Sprouts
- Purple Potatoes
- 2 lemons
- herbs de provence
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- Cut chicken into cubes.
- Put in bowl with olive oil, garlic and juice of half lemon.
- Season with salt , pepper and marinate at least one hour. I will usually marinate about six hours.
- Prepare skewers. If using bamboo skewers, soak in water for one hour. If you don't have time wrap tips in foil.
- Trim and cut brussels sprouts. Microwave in a little bit of water for two minutes.
- Cut potatoes in half. Microwave for 3-5 minutes with a tiny bit of water.
- Heat grill to approximately 400 degrees. If using the oven, preheat to 400 degrees f.
- Skewer chicken, potatoes, brussels sprouts. Don't push too tightly together. Drizzle olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Grill for 4 to 5 minutes, turning in between. As soon as chicken reaches 165 F. internal temperature, remove.
- Place on plate. Drizzle again with olive oil, a lemon squeeze. Serve with a sprinkling of feta cheese.