Chocolate Chip cookies with Flax Eggs
I discovered a secret about baking. You don’t have to use eggs, which is often necessary to hold everything together. Some people especially children have several egg allergies, which can range from mild to severe.
Often children outgrow an egg allergy, but the good news here is they can still have everyone’s favorite treat, the chocolate chip cookie. when I made chocolate chip cookies without eggs I was happy that no one noticed anything different.
I know you’re curious; I was too, and I asked a friend what she thought would work and the answer was already in my pantry.
Make Flax Eggs for with Flax Seed
Ground flax seed, mixed with a little water will turn into a mixture within ten minutes that will not only hold the cookies together, will add a benefit of added fiber. All good.
So tell me have you ever used substitutes for baking? Chocolate chip cookies without eggs can taste just as good as these.
Other Special Recipes for Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 cup butter, unsalted, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2½ plus 2 tablespoons cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups of chopped chocolate or chips
- ½ cup toasted, chopped walnuts (optional, but I think necessary)
- Mix ground flax seed with the water and set aside. It will congeal in about ten minutes.
- Cream butter and sugars together. Add the ground flax seed mixture.
- Add vanilla.
- Mix dry ingredients in separate bowl together
- Add flour mixture to wet ingredients.
- Add in chocolate, nuts and thoroughly incorporate.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes up to overnight. You can freeze dough at this point.
- Spoon onto ungreased cookie sheet. It doesn’t matter what size you make as long as the size is consistent.
- Bake 9-11 minutes at 375. (Adjust baking time if cookies are larger than a teaspoon).