I’m on an Autumn Roll. If I was a magazine, I would probably be preparing for Valentine’s Day, but I’m a blog, and I’m in real time making boozy, spicy, Autumn Risotto with Butternut Squash.
You may remember Autumn Salad, and the inspiration for this dish, Autumn Cocktail. Well, one good idea just flows into the next and when I had butternut-infused vodka left over, I thought about risotto.
I’m not sure what Marcella Hazan might say if she could see me throwing in mustard seeds, green chilies, red chilies, and tumeric, along with the customary onion and butter. Just to make it more interesting, I added in the butternut squash-infused vodka, which sweetened the dish a little and layered nicely with the butternut squash.
I kept the dish hot and spicy, but added in toasted pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries to add that Autumn touch.
This is not the typical butternut squash risotto with parmesan cheese.
Boozy, spicy, Autumn Risotto with Butternut squash is a great side dish, especially on the holiday table.
More Spinach Tiger Recipes
My Most Recent Autumn Dishes
Boozy Spicy Autumn Risotto with Butternut Squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small butternut squash cubed
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1/4 cup butternut infused-squash vodka optional, can use white wine or no alcohol
- large dash nutmeg
- 1 green chili sliced
- 1 red chili broken in half
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- tablespoon of dried cranberries
- toasted pumpkin seeds for garnish
- Saute butternut squash in olive oil.
- Add in onion and 1 tablespoon butter. Add in green chili sliced and red chili.
- Once onion is translucent, add arborio rice and stir until moistened.
- Immediately add in 1/2 cup broth. Once that evaporates add in another 1/2 cup broth. Move rice to side of pan. Add remaining tablespoon butter and vodka. Stir and stir through rice. Once evaporated, add in another 1/2 cup broth and dried cranberries.
- Add in salt, white pepper.
- Continue to add 1/2 cup broth at a time until five cups are used.
- Season again with salt, pepper and dash nutmeg and garnish with toasted pumpkin seeds.
Please follow me on instagram. If you make this recipe, please tag me #spinachtiger.
If you love this recipe, please give it five stars. It means a lot. xoxo